Dr. Sailesh Tanna
School of Economics Finance and Accounting
Faculty of Business and Law
I hold a BSc and MSc from the London School of Economics, and a PhD from London South Bank University (formally Polytechnic). I am presently Principal Lecturer within Coventry Business School at Coventry University, having previously held research positions at South Bank Polytechnic, Imperial College, University of Warwick, and as a Lecturer in Economics at the University of Leicester. At Coventry University, I have taught various undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the economics, business and finance disciplines and I have been instrumental in the development of postgraduate degrees in Finance and Banking.
I have previously researched in the area of macroeconomic modelling and policy analysis and international economics, but my main research interests are now primarily in banking and finance. I also actively supervise PhD students, and most of my former PhD students now hold academic positions in the UK or overseas.
Since 2005, I have been a visiting Research Fellow at Financial Engineering Laboratory of the Technical University of Crete, Greece. I have served as a referee and editorial board member of several academic journals. I am also a Scientific Committee member of the Financial and Engineering Banking Society.
- PhD Economics, Polytechnic of the South Bank, London.
- MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics, LSE, 1982.
- BSc (Econ), Statistics, LSE, 1980.
My research deals with the application of quantitative techniques in economics and financial management, with specialisation more recently in banking and M&As. In this context, working in collaboration with academic colleagues and PhD students, I have sought to evaluate firm and banking institutions performance in response to environmental changes associated with financial liberalisation, crises and deregulation. This research is empirical and inter-disciplinary, making use of economic, financial and accounting data, and seeks to inform the academic/policy debate about the role of financial regulation, consumer protection and macroeconomic policy in affecting performance, with implications for shareholder wealth, efficiency and stability.
- Banking Sector M&As, Regulations and Efficiency: Awarded £3000 from Coventry University Applied Research Fellowship Scheme (2006-08) for research collaboration with the Financial Engineering Laboratory of the Technical University of Crete, where I am a Research Fellow.
- Banking Sector Consolidation and Performance: Awarded £6000 from Coventry University Research Sabbatical Fellowship Scheme (2012) for joint research with Dr. Matthias Nnadi, Cranfield School of Management.
Recent outputs and publications
- Nnadi, M., and Tanna, S. (2014) 'Post Acquisitions Profitability of Banks: A Comparison of Domestic and Cross Border Acquisitions in the European Union' Global Business and Economics Review 16 (3), 310-331.
- Nnadi, M., and Tanna, S. (2013) 'Analysis of Cross-border and Domestic Mega-M&As of European Commercial Banks'. Managerial Finance 39 (9), 848-862.
- Tanna, S., and Urio, H. (2012) 'Consolidation and Performance in the EU Banking Industry: A Survey'. In Financial Services: Efficiency and Risk Management. Ed. by Fethi, M., Gaganis, C., Pasiouras, F., and Zopounidis, C. New York: Nova. 1-40.
- Tanna, S., Pasiouras, F., and Nnadi, M. (2011) 'The Effect of Board Size and Composition on the Efficiency of UK Banks'. International Journal of the Economics of Business 18 (3), 441-462.
- Pasiouras, F., Tanna, S., and Gaganis, C. (2011) 'What drives acquisitions in the EU Banking Industry? The role of Bank Regulation and Supervision Framework, Bank Specific and Market Specific Factors'. Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments 20 (2), 29-77.
- Pasiouras, F. and Tanna, S. (2010) 'The Prediction of Bank Acquisition Targets with Discriminant and Logit analysis: Methodological Issues and Empirical Evidence'. Research in International Business and Finance 24 (1), 39-61.
- Emerging Markets Finance
- European Business (MBA)
- Quantitative Methods
Areas of expertise
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Banking Performance
- Finance and Economic Growth
- FDI and Productivity of Firms
- Financial Regulations and Stability