Dr. Aqsa Aziz
Lecturer in Finance
I attained my BSc (Hons) and PhD from the University of Manchester in Organic Chemistry. I subsequently moved into Finance obtaining a Masters (Distinction) in Islamic Banking, Finance and Management from the University of Gloucestershire.
I completed my PGCE (Distinction) in Higher Education at Coventry University and I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I specialise in Islamic Finance and teach both undergraduate and postgraduate students. I am also responsible for the supervision of Masters Dissertations.
- MA, Islamic Banking, Finance and Management, University of Gloucestershire, 2014
- PgCert, Higher Education Professional Practice, Coventry University, 2013
- PhD, Synthetic Organic Chemistry, University of Manchester, 2000
I recently conducted some research on why a UK based Islamic Insurance provider (Salaam) failed within two years of operation. It was a case study which provided a rich insight into the corporate failure and lessons to be derived for the Takaful industry. Based on this research, I was invited to present a Masterclass to Islamic Finance practitioners at the International Takaful Summit held in February, 2015.
Other research interests include looking at the performance of various global Islamic financial institutions.
Recent outputs and publications
- Aziz, A. (2015) ‘Challenges Faced by Takaful Initiatives in the UK – The Salaam Insurance Experience’. The International Takaful Masterclass. Held 16 February 2015 in London, UK. 2015.
- Aziz, A. (2014) ‘Identifying Causes for the Failure of Salaam Halal Insurance’. BES Internal Research Conference. Held 1 July 2014 at Coventry University, UK.
- Aziz, A. (2013) ‘Video Recorded Lectures Enhancing the Student Learning Experience’. Faculty of BES. Held at Coventry University, UK.
- Aziz, A. (2010) ‘Islamic Banking – How does it work?’ BES Internal Research Conference. Held 1 July 2010 at Coventry University, UK.
- Corporate Finance (357FIN)
- Islamic Finance (M13EFA)
- Emerging Markets Finance (M16EFA)
- Supervision of postgraduate dissertations (M43BSS/ M99EFA)
Areas of expertise
- Islamic Banking and Finance