Welfare and mental health support

Welfare and mental health support

Support is available for a range of welfare and wellbeing needs across the Coventry University Group.

We prioritise the wellbeing of our students and colleagues which is why all our services are available, both online and face-to-face. Our services cover mental and physical health, as well as support with spirituality and faith, disability and bereavement.

To help students through this difficult period, the university has an Emergency Relief Fund in place which provides support to students who need it the most. To learn more about how you can donate, visit our Support our Emergency Response page.

All services are available, whether online or in person (at a safe distance). These include:

  • access to our counselling and mental health service
  • a dedicated team of welfare and disability advisors providing advice and support
  • access to our suite of Connections Matter resources (requires university login) designed to help you stay connected and healthy, both mentally and physically
  • access to Togetherall (formerly Big White Wall), a completely anonymous digital mental health support service available online 24/7 for students and staff to express themselves freely and openly
  • support to register with a doctor (GP).

To explore a range of the welfare services we offer, please visit the appropriate site information:

The Student Engagement Centre (SEC) team can help to connect you with a range of expert support, whether that’s an academic tutor or one of the many dedicated student services.

The SEC team are trained to listen, and will treat all enquiries professionally and with discretion.

You can contact them on +44 (0) 2477 656565 between 07:00-22:00 Monday to Friday and 08:00-14:00 on Saturdays, or by emailing engagement@coventry.ac.uk.

They are also available to talk to on-campus, at information points or reception desks.

If you need to self-isolate, you should inform your course director immediately, and let us know that you are self-isolating using the reporting form on the Student Portal so that we can offer you any further support you might need in terms of learning and your personal wellbeing.

If you are living in university-owned accommodation with FutureLets, the onsite teams can assist with food delivery, waste removal, cleaning packs and wellbeing support for the period of isolation. If you are living in privately-owned accommodation, please speak to your provider for details of the support available for self-isolation.

You can continue to access health, welfare and disability services online throughout your period of self-isolation. To explore a range of the services we offer, please visit the appropriate site information:

You can also continue to access our suite of Connections Matter resources designed to help you stay connected and healthy, both mentally and physically

It is important to register with a doctor, also known as a General Practitioner (GP), who is local to where you live. Do not wait until you feel unwell to do this; register as soon as you can. 

More information and support, including advice about NHS prescriptions and charges, can be found on the Health and Wellbeing Portal GP page. 

If you are an international student, you may be required to pay an immigration health charge to be eligible for NHS treatment, which costs £300 per year. To learn more, visit our Immigration Health Charge page or contact studentsupport.io@coventry.ac.uk 

If you have a medical condition, disability or neurodiverse condition and you are worried about the changes to the delivery of your teaching and learning, or anything else, please email the Disabilities Team at disabilityadvisor.ss@coventry.ac.uk or welfare.cus@coventry.ac.uk if you study at CU Scarborough.

While we are currently unable to offer face-to-face appointments, we are still able support you so do not feel that you are alone. You can book a phone call or Microsoft Teams video call (accessed via Office 365). Just let the Disabilities Team know how to contact you and give them your up-to-date contact details when you book.

For further information and support, please visit the relevant website:

You should discuss your situation with your course director/module tutor who can offer you guidance and support on managing your workload.

You can also speak to your registry team about applying for extensions on assessments deadlines or deferrals on assessments until the next academic year.

You can also apply to defer or temporarily withdraw from your course and you should discuss this with both your course director or module tutor and registry team. Deferring or withdrawing will have an impact on how you progress and when you complete your course. You should discuss these options in full to ensure that you understand the implications it will have on you and your studies. 

You may also be able to switch from blended (on-campus and online) learning to fully online, subject to any restrictions. If you wish to do this, you should contact your course director and they can discuss this with you.

Students can apply to Coventry University’s Student Emergency Fund which provides financial support to students who find themselves in an unforeseen situation, leaving them without money for essentials. You can read more about the Student Emergency Fund on our Emergency Response page. 

Current students can find out how to apply to the Emergency Fund on the Student Portal (login required).

Inappropriate behaviour including harassment towards students or staff is not tolerated across the Coventry University Group. You can report harassment anonymously, log a report, or request to speak to a case manager in confidence. The role of the case manager is to assist you in understanding the various options available to you and to provide you with support for deciding the best option for you. The case manager may seek to refer you to appropriate sources of support and/or help to manage any subsequent actions taken.

In an emergency on campus or in Coventry University accommodation, call +44 (0) 24 7765 8555 to summon the university’s Protection Service. For emergencies in private accommodation or off-campus call the police on 999.

Coventry University No.1 Modern University No.1 Modern University in the Midlands
Coventry University awarded TEF GOLD Teaching Excellence Framework
University of the year shortlisted
QS Five Star Rating 2020
Coventry City of Culture 2021