Economic intelligence for the Coventry and Warwickshire LEP
In-kind contribution as part of Coventry University’s active partnership with the LEP
Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (CWLEP)
This project showcases the important relationship the Centre has with economic development agencies in its own sub-region. The Centre works closely with Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (CWLEP) in developing, hosting and maintaining an economic intelligence hub (www.cwlep.com/intelligence). This resides on the CWLEP website and provides a gateway to key data and economic reports on the sub-region as well as hosting relevant strategies and plans. In addition, the site offers a dynamic data analytics platform providing commentaries and blogs that unpick key messages for the sub-region from published data and reports as well as tweeting live economic development news. In summary the portal contains the following sections
- The blog: providing regular commentary on news and reports that are relevant to activity of the Coventry of CWLEP, drawing out key implications of data and findings for the sub-region. Current posts include a commentary on a recent Centre for Cities report and a review of a new IPPR report on Building Economic Resilience. Upcoming posts include an analysis of the change in Gross Value Added (GVA) by sector in LEPs during the periods before and after the recent recession; and an analysis of economic performance data produced by the LEP Network from which CWLEP can be benchmarked.
- Economy and Business: Updates on business conditions and the state of the economy including the Warwickshire Quarterly Economic Briefing and the Coventry Economic Bulletin.
- Sector profiles: Information about how the CWLEP is supporting business investment for eight key sectors: advanced manufacturing; aerospace; automotive; digital and creative industries; energy; intelligent mobility; low carbon and professional and financial services.
- Strategy and Plans: Here you will be able to find CWLEP’s current strategies and plans including the Strategic Economic Plan, European Structural and Investment Fund and Skills Strategy.
- Economy: Information about the local economy including the Coventry and Warwickshire Economic Assessment and the Warwickshire Quality of Life Report
- Business Growth: Information about the factors that are supporting or constraining business growth in Coventry and Warwickshire.
- Employment and Skills: Information about the Coventry and Warwickshire labour market and labour force skills.
- Infrastructure: Information about physical infrastructure in Coventry and Warwickshire that is supporting or constraining growth.
This work has impact in a number of ways. The analytical work is designed to directly support and influence policy economic development policy by underpinning strategy and action plans. The blogs are intended to both summarize findings of LEP relevant research and intelligence, making it more accessible to wider audiences beyond the immediate LEP community, and at the same time influencing debate on key issues that affect the sub-regional economy. A twitter account @CW_LEPIntel has been set-up providing alerts to new reports and postings on the intelligence portal facilitating wider reach of the work.