How do we ensure responsible lending and borrowing?
Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
Total value of project
Value to Coventry University
University of Birmingham, University of Warwick
Duration of project
01/01/2017 - 30/09/2017
In response to the findings from the AHRC project 'FinCris: Responsibilities, Ethics and the Financial Crisis', our research on 'responsible lending and borrowing' undertook a follow-on project to explore innovative impactful ways for the research findings to encourage greater responsible lending and borrowing.
The key objective was to improve responsible lending and borrowing. In particular, access to affordable credit for low and moderate income communities. We achieved this through engaging with UK Credit Unions to develop innovative and creative strategies for implementing responsible lending practices and products.
We engaged in a range of activities to develop impact within and beyond the lifetime of the project to:
- Inform and feed into public debates via the Credit Union network and key stakeholders within the lending and borrowing space, particularly mainstream banks and regulators made a significant impact upon credit union members and borrowers.
- Supported Credit Unions (lenders) through co-producing materials based on our research findings in order for them to understand and support responsible borrowing amongst their members for longer-term impact beyond the project.
- Convened workshops to share and use our findings as a basis for discussion about the role that Credit Unions can play as responsible lenders.
- Co-produced a good practice guide to train staff and board members, based on our research findings and the discussions with key stakeholders.
- Hosted knowledge exchange events, inviting key actors in the responsible credit sphere from Australia to share their knowledge on HCSTC and what lessons can be learnt in the UK context.
Rowlingson, K., Appleyard, L., & Sorell, T. (2018). Responsible lending in practice: Developing a template to promote your Credit Union.
Rowlingson, K., Appleyard, L., & Sorell, T. (2018). Responsible Lending in Practice: A Training Tool.