Dr. Zahir Uddin Ahmad
Lecturer in Electrical/Electronics
School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics
Faculty of Engineering, Environment and Computing
I graduated with a CGPA of 3.86/4.00 in Computer Engineering from the American International University, Bangladesh in 2004. I was awarded an MSc in Engineering by the Korean Advanced Institute of Technology in 2008 and with a PhD in Optical wireless by the University of Warwick in 2014. Recently, I have completed the PgCert in Academic Practise in Higher Education at Coventry University.
After completing my Bachelor degree, I worked as a Cisco (CCNA) instructor from 2004-2006 in American International University Bangladesh and worked as a Lecturer for Southeast University Bangladesh from 2008-2009. I joined Coventry University in March 2014 as an Assistant Lecturer and became a Lecturer in September 2015.
Currently, I teach subjects related to communication and electronics, where I lead the second year Communication Systems module. I also supervise Undergraduate and Postgraduate projects related to communications. My main research interest is visible light communication and I am also interested in other wireless technologies.
I am currently a Fellow of UK Higher Education Academy and a member of Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.
- PgCert in Academic Practise in Higher Education, Coventry University, 2016.
- PhD in Engineering, University of Warwick, 2014.
- Engineering MSc, KAIST (South Korea), 2008.
My main research interests are optical wireless communication, visible light communication, and high-speed network. Currently, I am investigating different applications of Visible Light Communication (VLC) both in free space and underwater. My PhD research involved investigation of different features of underwater visible light communications. I have experience of ITU-T standardisation process and contributed several drafts for ITU-T G.8032 standard during my MSc study at KAIST, South Korea. I also filled two patents in the field and published several papers.
Recent outputs and publications
- Ahmad, Z., Geisar, P., Salih, O., and Rajbhandari, S. (2015) ‘Design of a Visible Light Communication System for Deep Sea Drivers Based on FM Modulation’. IEEE CSNDSP 2016. Held 20-22 July 2016 in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Ahmad, Z., and Green, R. (2012) ‘Link Design for Multi-hop Underwater Optical Wireless Sensor Network’. In Borcoci, E., and Manoharan, S. (eds.) ICSNC 2012, ‘The Seventh International Conference on Systems and Networks Communications’. Held 18-23 November 2012 in Lisbon, Portugal. IARIA, 65-70.
- Ahmad, Z. (2008) ‘Backhaul Network for Beyond 3G Environment’. ITC-CSCC 2008. Held 6-9 July 2008 in Japan.
- Ryoo, J., Long, H., Yang ,Y., Holness, M., Ahmad, Z., and Rhee, J. (2008) ‘Ethernet Ring Protection for Carrier Ethernet Networks’. IEEE Communications Magazine 46 (9), 136 – 143.
- Ahmad, Z., Rhee, J., Im, J., Ryoo, J., and Joo, B. (2007) ‘Ethernet ring protection mechanism by use FDB flipping method’. ITU-T SG15. Held 26-30 November 2007 in Ottawa, Canada.
- Systems Projects (1st year activity led learning module)
- Communication Systems 1 (2nd year undergraduate)
- Communication Systems 2 (3rd year undergraduate)
- Digital Communications Systems (Postgraduate)
- Digital Signal Processing Technology (Postgraduate)
Areas of expertise
- Visible light communication
- Digital communication
- ITU-T standardization
- PIC microcontroller programming
- Digital Signal Processing