- provide students with individualised advice and guidance on assignment writing and academic writing genres such as essays, reports, dissertations, theses, and exam papers. Student support is focused on topics ranging from how to organise an academic argument to how to improve academic style and sentence structure;
- offer teaching staff individualised guidance on designing assignment briefs, incorporating writing activities in their seminar work, and on teaching writing within subject courses;
- offer research students and staff one-to-one advice on writing for publication, writing in grant proposals and other types of academic/academic-related writing.
CAW's research work aims to:
- contribute to current debates in the interdisciplinary field of academic writing;
- make connections between the theories and practices of academic writing;
- inform and develop the pedagogies of academic writing.
CAW has developed a series of academic writing resources, including ‘The Coventry University Guide to Referencing in Harvard Style’
The Centre for Academic Writing is based in the Frederick Lanchester Annexe, next to the Lanchester Library.
Centre for Academic Writing
Frederick Lanchester Annexe
Telephone: +44 (0) 24 7765 7902