Dr. Keith Gray
Associate Head of School (Student Experience)
School of Economics, Finance and Accounting
Coventry Business School
Faculty of Business and Law
I have over twenty-five years worth of experience of teaching, researching and managing in Higher Education having taught at the universities of Coventry, Warwick and Reading. My PhD was awarded by the University of Leicester on the economics of contracting in secondary care in the UK NHS.
My contribution to research has been published in journals including the Journal of Health, Organisation and Management and the International Journal of Healthcare Management and in addition, I have engaged in pedagogic research funded by the Higher Education Academy UK, examining principally, the nature of threshold concepts in economics within post-graduate education.
I have also acted as external examiner in economics at the universities of Northampton, Ulster and Greenwich and as a course reviewer for the University of Leicester’s Management Centre.
Since 2011 I have been an Associate Head of School for the School of Economics, Finance and Accounting within the Faculty of Business and Law at Coventry University. In this role my principal responsibility is managing and enhancing the student experience across a wide range of undergraduate and post-graduate courses. Furthermore, I have also been responsible for leading the Economics Subject Group within the School of Economics, Finance and Accounting.
- 2000, Ph.D., Health Economics, University of Leicester
- 1991, M.Phil., Economics, Coventry Polytechnic
- 1987, B.A. (Hons), Upper Second, Economics, Coventry Polytechnic
- Contracting and relational behaviour in the UK NHS
- Pedagogy in Economics Education
- Evaluating the role and contribution of group working in economics education, The Higher Education Academy: Economics Network, £5,000, 2008
- An evaluation of the challenges MBA students encounter in acquiring and applying threshold concepts in economics, The Higher Education Academy: Economics Network, £5,000, 2007
- Evaluating the use of virtual learning environments in introductory economics courses, The Higher Education Academy: Economics Network, £1,000, 2007
Selected outputs and publications
- Gray, K.E. and Higgins, M., (2012) “Legacy, trust and turbulence in the NHS healthcare commissioning process: an exploratory study”, International Journal of Healthcare Management, forthcoming.
- Gray, K.E., Higgins, M. and Bailey, M. (2011) “Exploring the development of relationship marketing in the National Health Service: an empirical analysis of the supplier-purchaser relationship in a quasi-market”, Journal of Management and Marketing in Healthcare, 4 (3), pp, 196-204
- Gray, K.E., and Bailey, M. (2008) 'Non-price competition in NHS secondary care contracting: An empirical analysis', Journal of Health, Organization and Management 22 (5), 480-495
- Ghosh, D., and Gray, K.E. (2002) 'NHS trust joint ventures: A relationship marketing perspective'. International Journal of Business Performance Management 5 (2/3), 270-283
- Ghosh, D., and Gray, K.E. (2000) 'Competition, contracting and cost-sharing in the NHS internal market'. Global Business and Economics Review 2 (1), 85-103
- Ghosh, D., and Gray, K.E. (2000) 'An empirical analysis of the purchaser-provider relationship in the former NHS internal market'. Journal of Management in Medicine 14 (1), 57-68
- Gray, K.E., and Harrison, K.L. (1998) 'Equity, efficiency and efficacy in evaluations of health care programmes'. British Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation 5 (8), 396-401