Pre-Sessional English course
Entering a new study environment can be challenging, not only in terms of language, but also in adjusting to a new academic culture which may be very different to what you are used to.
At CU Scarborough our Pre-Sessional English courses will help prepare you in both of these areas so that you can meet the demands of the academic course you wish to progress onto. You will be taught by highly qualified and experienced tutors who understand the challenges and anxieties faced by international students.
Please visit our regulations for Pre-sessional English if you would like further information regarding framework, admission, enrolment, registration and degree progression.
Pre-Sessional English is a full-time course designed to:
- Ensure you meet the minimum language requirements needed for your chosen degree programme.
- Help you adopt approaches to your studies and learn strategies and skills that will enable you to succeed in UK higher education.
- Raise your awareness and ability to use academic English appropriately and effectively in speech and writing.
- Allow you to familiarise yourself with our facilities ahead of your academic course.
- Assist you in being able to work independently during your studies.
Your lessons will focus on:
Reading and writing
You will learn how to write in an appropriate academic style, how to read more effectively and how to incorporate sources that you read into your writing.
Speaking and listening
You will develop your lecture listening skills and practice note-taking techniques; you will also learn how to give a successful academic presentation and how to participate in seminar discussions.
You will learn much-needed study skills such as time management, referencing, avoiding plagiarism and critical thinking.
English in your subject
You will study and practice the specific subject language of your chosen degree area in preparation for your course.
By achieving the level of performance required in the Pre-Sessional English course, meeting the University’s academic entry requirements and any other outstanding conditions, you will be able to progress on to your CU Scarborough course without needing to retake an IELTS exam.
Course dates and fees
The length of your Pre-Sessional English course will be determined by:
- Your current level of English
- The entry level you will need to reach for your undergraduate or postgraduate degree
Dates and fees to be confirmed for 2021-22.
To gain entry onto a pre-sessional English course at CU Scarborough, you will need a Secure English Language Test (SELT) certificate.
Due to recent UK Visas and Immigration changes, you must sit an IELTS test at a test centre that is approved by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to deliver a SELT. You will only be able to apply for a student visa to undertake a Pre-sessional English course if you hold a SELT from a UKVI approved test centre.
Your SELT certificate MUST include the following to be valid for entry onto a pre-sessional English course.
- Top right box MUST state ‘Academic’
- Centre Number MUST be a centre number that shows on the UKVI approved test centres list
- MUST have a UKVI reference number
The level of pre-sessional English course you will need will be dependent on your current English level.
How to apply
There is no separate application process to apply to the pre-sessional English course. You must submit your application for the degree programme you are interested in studying and based on the information provided, you will be offered a place on the necessary pre-sessional English programme if required.
Enrolment on a pre-sessional course does not guarantee progression onto your chosen academic course at CU Scarborough. In order to meet the English requirements of your course you need to:
- arrive on the first day of the course;
- attend all of your timetabled lessons;
- be committed to participating fully in English in all classes;
- complete all homework, assessments and other work set by your tutors;
- spend time on self-study each week of your course.