Dr S M A Moin
Senior Lecturer in Marketing and Associate Head of Research and Scholarship
Moin is a published author in marketing, strategy, and leadership and an interdisciplinary researcher interested in storytelling, branding, consumer trust, creativity, and leadership. He spent fifteen years in the Bangladesh Navy, willingly retiring as a Lieutenant Commander.
His military career followed by eight years in several UK industries including media, publishing, and financial services. As a management consultant, Moin advised a range of companies, worked for the world’s largest newspaper, and was part of a $4 billion international subsea project. He also served as an LEA Governor of the London Borough of Hounslow.
Moin then made a third transformation to academia. He is currently the Associate Head of Research and Scholarship at Coventry University London and a Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy. He is also a reviewer of several academic journals. He earned an MBA from the University of Strathclyde and a PhD in Management from the University of Nottingham. He completed several courses in leadership, management, and creativity from the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge. While in the Navy, he trained at the US Defense Institute of International Legal Studies; the US Navy Atlantic Command; and the US Coast Guard’s Leadership & Quality Institute and Command & Operations School. He brings his industry experience into the classroom and teaches a number of modules in the domain of marketing, strategy and research methods across undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- LBTechX1: Technology Entrepreneurship: Lab to Market, Harvard University, 2021
- The Philosophy of Creativity, University of Oxford, UK, 2017
- PhD, University of Nottingham, UK, 2016
- PgCAPHE, Coventry University, UK, 2016
- Generative Leadership, University of Oxford, UK, 2016
- Creative Writing, University of Cambridge, UK, 2015
- MBA, University of Strathclyde, UK, 2007
Professional and Industry Memberships
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy (HEA), UK
- Fellow, Chartered Management Institute (CMI), UK
Publications and Scholarship Activities
- Moin, S. M. A., Hosany, S. O'Brien, J. (2020). Storytelling in destination brands’ promotional videos, Tourism Management Perspective, 34:1-12
- Moin, S. M. A., Devlin. J., McKechnie. S. (2017) “Trust in Financial Services: The Influence of Demographics and Dispositional Characteristics ”, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 22:64-76
- Moin, S. M. A., Devlin. J., McKechnie. S. (2016) “Magic of Branding: The role of Pledge, Turn and Prestige in Fostering Consumer Trust in Financial Services”, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 21 (2): 113-126.
- Moin, S. M. A., Devlin. J., McKechnie. S. (2015) “Trust in Financial Services: Impact of Institutional Trust and Dispositional Trust on Trusting Belief”, Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 20: 91-106.
- Moin, S. M. A. (2020) “Brand Storytelling in the Digital Age: Theories, Practice and Application, London: Palgrave McMillan, ISBN:9783030590840
- Moin, S. M. A. (2020) “Leadership Compass: 12 Steps to Becoming a Purposeful Leader, London: KDP, ISBN:9781673879063
- Moin, S. M. A. (2019) “The Purpose of Life, London: KDP, ISBN: 9781694830968
- Moin, S. M. A. (2012) “Strategy Made Easy: Introducing a new strategy model”, USA and UK: Lambert Academic Publishing. ISBN: 9783659153464
- Moin, S. M. A. (2019). The power of storytelling - How to engage millennial learners with an ancient art. In Teaching and Learning Excellence – The Coventry Way. Ed. by Simmons, C. [online]
- Moin, S. M. A., Hosany, S. O'Brien, J. (2019). How Destination Brands Tell Stories: Analysing destination commercials using the hero’s journey, at the 2019 Academy of Marketing Conference, Regent University London, UK - This paper won the best paper award under the Tourism and Place Marketing Track at the 2019 Academy of Marketing Conference.
- Moin, S. M. A., Devlin. J., McKechnie. S. (2016) “Operationalising Interdisciplinary Perspectives of Trust: Development of measurement scales for interdisciplinary trust constructs”, at the 2016 Academy of Marketing Conference, Newcastle Business School at the Northumbria University, UK
- Moin, S. M. A., Devlin. J., McKechnie. S. (2016) “Does Brand Experience Matter? An Investigation into the Role of Brand Experience in Promoting Consumers’ Trusting Belief in Financial Services”, at the 11th Global Brand Conference, University of Bradford School of Management, UK.
- Moin, S. M. A. (2015) “An empirical investigation into an interdisciplinary brand-trust model in the context of UK Financial Services sector”, at the Early Career Researcher Symposium, University of Edinburgh Business School, UK.
- Moin, S. M. A., Devlin. J., McKechnie. S. (2015) “Magic of Branding: The role of ‘Pledge’, ‘Turn’ and ‘Prestige’ in Fostering Consumer Trust in Financial Services”, at the 2015 Academy of Marketing Conference, University of Limerick, Ireland.
- Moin, S. M. A., Devlin. J., McKechnie. S. (2014) “An Investigation into the Impact of Brand Experience on Consumer Trust in the Context of UK Financial Services Sector”, at the 2014 Academy of Marketing Conference, Bournemouth University, UK.
- Moin, S. M. A. (2013) “Binding through branding: What role does a financial service brand play in promoting consumer trust?”, at the International Research Conference in Marketing, University of Strathclyde, 2013, Glasgow, UK.
- Moin, S. M. A. (2014) “The inextricable link between passion and a successful business”, UK: Enterprise Research Centre.
Conferences (Teaching and Learning)
- Moin, S. M. A. (2016) “The Art of Storytelling: The use of ancient art in modern day classrooms to win the hearts and minds of the 21st century learners”, at the Coventry University Conference: Creating Better Futures, Coventry University, UK
- Moin, S. M. A. and Stoyanova-Bozhkova, S. (2016) “The pace of innovation and the future of traditional teaching: How to face the challenges of online teaching and manage the expectations of millennial learners?”, at the Coventry University Conference: Creating Better Futures, Coventry University, UK
- Moin, S. M. A. (2015) “What is High Impact Teaching? Are the business schools on track to produce leaders for 21st century?”, at the Coventry University Conference: Transforming Futures: Disruption, Connection and Innovation, Coventry University, UK
- Reviewer, Journal of Financial Services Marketing
- Reviewer, Journal of Product and Brand Management
- Reviewer, International Journal of Communication Systems
- Reviewer, Spanish Journal of Marketing
- Reviewer, Cogent Psychology
- Reviewer, Academy of Marketing
Online Training Development
- Moin, S. M. A. (2020), The Approaches to Interdisciplinary Research Brand Management: Assumptions and Methods, London: SAGE Publishing, ISBN: 9781529723892
- Moin, S. M. A. (2020), Depth Interviews and Life Stories: A Narrative Approach, London: SAGE Publishing, ISBN: 9781529722901
- Moin, S. M. A. (2020), Principles of Brand Storytelling in Marketing: An approach for literary and narratological analysis of video commercials, London: SAGE Publishing, ISBN: 9781529731903
- Creativity and Innovation
- Marketing Management
- International Marketing Strategy
- Research Methods
- Business Strategy