Monique Lee Hylands-White
Founder of a couture accessory brand Monique Lee Millinery, and the managing director of X Terrace Fashion Platform Monique works with EU fashion talents to collaborate with fashion companies in Asia. Her designs have been featured in over 200 press, including VOGUE Italia and Tatler UK. Curator and organiser of the annual London Hat Week exhibition, Monique also runs 27 social media accounts with over 75,000 followers.
Monique brings her wide knowledge and deep experience of the fashion industry to her role as acting principle lecturer in fashion and programme leader for the MBA International Fashion Management programme. She is responsible for the design and delivery of a range of fashion digital marketing and communication and personal development modules and works across the industry to provide her fashion students with over 200 fashion internship and short term collaboration opportunities.
In 2015 she was awarded Innovative and Entrepreneurial Teaching Award by Head of Academics and has sourced industry guest speakers including the YouTube UK fashion team, photographer/ editor-in-chief Ram Shergill and many other fashion industry professionals. She organises the annual CULC international fashion conferences, engaging with over 400 industry and academic delegates from overseas and leading UK institutions.
- PhD in Fashion, Birmingham City University (Expected 2017)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Birmingham City University (2013)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Research Practice, Birmingham City University (2011)
- MA Fashion Design and Technology, London College of Fashion, UAL (2006)
- BA Fashion Design, Shih Chien University (2003)
Professional and Industry Memberships
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Founder/ Director of X Terrace Fashion Platform
- Founder/ Designer of Monique Lee Millinery
Research and Consultancy
Research areas are sportswear innovation, trend forecasting, consumer behaviour, Chinese fashion industry and consumer, social media marketing, and wearable technology.
In 2013 Monique launched Monique Lee Millinery. Her designs have been featured in over 200 press, including VOGUE Italia, L’Officiel Hellas, Schön!, Tatler UK, Luxury Files, House of Coco, HUF, Superior, Royal Ascot Official, and many more. She organises and curates the annual London Hat Week exhibition, and is also the founder of X Terrace Fashion Platform where she works with EU fashion talents to collaborate with fashion companies in Asia. She also runs 27 social media accounts and currently has over 75,000 followers.
www.moniquelee.uk / www.xterrace.com / Social Media: @MLMhats @XTerrace
Publications and Scholarship Activities
- Dissertation Supervisor at London College of Fashion, UAL June 2016 – Present Supervision: MA Design Management
- International Scholar at Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology December 2015 – Present. Invited by BIFT along with designer Jimmy Choo and other scholars from Spain, UK, Korea and Australia
- Organiser of Fashion Career Conference: Get Ready for the Real World - December 2015. Hosting organisation: Coventry University London Campus
- Hat Designs Exhibited at On the Move Art and Fashion Festival -October 2015. Invited by Terra Breeze and Huashan 1914 Creative Park
- London Fashion Week Hat Design Collaboration with Fashion Designer Sadie Clayton - September 2015. Show and exhibition were hosted by Royal Academy of Arts
- Organiser & Speaker of Global Dialogues: Fashion Digital Marketing International Conference- September 2015. Hosting organisation: Coventry University London Campus
- Selected to represent UK to exhibit Hat Designs at EXPO 2015 Milano -June 2015. Hosting organisation: EXPO Milano and Birmingham City Council
- 2015 Chelsea Flower Show Delegates Fashion Consultancy and Hat Design- May 2015. Invited by Parks and Nature Conservation Department, Birmingham City Council
- Curated and Organised the 21st Century Hat Exhibition for London Hat Week-March 2015. Invited by London Hat Week founders
- Exhibited Hat Designs at Copenhagen Fashion Week-August 2014. Invited by VOGUE Italia and MUUSE
- VOGUE VTalent Young Vision Accessories Designers – Global People’s Choice Award-April 2014.Awarded by VOGUE Italia and MUUSE
- Exhibited Hat Designs at MAC and Birmingham Made Me Design Expo-June 2013. Invited by MAC Birmingham, Millennium Point Think Tank and Birmingham City University
- BSEEN Young Entrepreneur Business Funding- June 2013. Awarded by European Union
- Design Consultancy and Collaboration Project (Knowledge Exchange in Design) - March 2013. Founded by Arts & Humanities Research Council
- Award of Excellence - PhD Research Methodologies and Literature Review in Fashion -May 2012. Presented in Taiwan Scientific Symposium (UK Taipei Representative Office) at University of Birmingham
- Presented at FTC – Association of Fashion and Textile Courses PhD Research Conference May 2012, May 2011
- Preparing Postgraduate Researchers to Teach in Higher Education-September 2011. Organisation: Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA) and BCU
- Award of Distinction Finalist to represent Great Britain at Fashion Futures competition-June 2005. Awarding Organisation: International des Jeunes Createurs de Mode and PFAFF in Carrousel de Louvre, Paris
- Funded Research Project: 2006 Technology Development Programme (Taiwan Textile Federation). Leader of Innovative Sportswear Design and Research project. Founded by Ministry of Economics, R.O.C.
- Funded Research Project: 2007 Technology Development Programme (Taiwan Textile Federation). Leader of smart garment for the elderly citizen research project. Founded by Ministry of Economics, R.O.C.
- Funded Research Project: 2007 Technology Support Program for Intermediate Enterprises based in Taiwan . Leader of Fashion vs. Function Garment Production Project. Founded by Ministry of Economics, R.O.C.
- Employability and Consulting Skills
- Project Management
- Trend Prediction and Fashion Forecasting
- Entrepreneurship - Creating a Business Opportunity
- London Fashion Live Project
- Retail Enterprise Marketing and Management