Dr Gordon Yan
Principal Lecturer for Hospitality, Tourism and Events Management
Gordon is a principal lecturer and the subject lead for Hospitality, Tourism and Events Management at Coventry University, London. He started his academic career in tourism, hospitality and events management in 2004 and has been teaching and leading modules and courses across undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has been leading the development, design, and delivery for a range of tourism, hospitality and events management modules and has been supervising PhD students. He has been taking a leading academic role in the course development and management, research publication and consultancy in tourism, hospitality and events. As an experienced researcher, he has published books and peer reviewed journal articles widely in tourism and related studies.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education, 2011
- PhD in Tourism, Modernity and Sustainable Development, 2009
Research and Consultancy
Publishing widely in tourism and related areas, Gordon is a reviewer for four tourism journals. His current research projects and interests focus on tourism mobility, heritage tourism, tourism planning, destination management, and sustainable tourism development. He has been conducting applied research and consultancy projects for both public sector agencies and private organisations as well as international organisations. He has been working as a visiting professor and research fellow for several overseas universities. Experienced in research supervision, he has been supervising PhD students with successful completions.
Publications and Scholarship Activities
- Yan, H. (2018). The Many Voices of Pilgrimage and Reconciliation. Journal of Heritage Tourism, 13(6), pp. 564–565.
- Yan, H. (2017) Heritage Tourism in China: Modernity, Identity and Sustainability. Clevedon: Channel View Publications.
- Yan, H. and Raj, R. (2016) Tradition and Tourism. In J. Jafari, and H. Xiao, (eds.) Encyclopaedia of Tourism, 2nd ed. New York: Springer.
- Morpeth, N.D. and Yan, H. (ed.) (2015) Planning for Tourism: Towards a Sustainable Future. CABI: Wallingford.
- Prayag. G., Disegna, M., Cohen, S. and Yan, H. (2015) Segmenting Markets by Bagged Clustering: Young Chinese Travellers to Western Europe. Journal of Travel Research, 54(2), 234-250.
- Prayag. G., Cohen, S. and Yan, H. (2015) Potential Chinese travellers to Western Europe: segmenting motivations and service expectations, Current Issues in Tourism, 18(8), 725-743.
- Yan, H. and Bramwell, B. (2008) Cultural Tourism, Ceremony and the State in China. Annals of Tourism Research, 35(4), 969-989.
- International Hospitality and Tourism Marketing, Level 7
- Professional and Consulting Skills for Hospitality and Tourism, Level 6
- Research Methods, Level 6 & 7
- Skills for Hospitality and Tourism, Level 4
- Dissertation/ Project Supervision, Level 6, 7 & PhD