Dr Gratien David Pillai
Dr Gratien David Pillai has 20 years teaching experience in the UK and International HE environment having taught Organisational Behaviour and HRM at Warwick and Birmingham Universities in the UK and Assumption University and SIBA International Programme, Bangkok before joining Coventry University, London in 2014.
In addition to teaching, Gratien held senior management roles at SIBA International Programme, where he helped to setup an international programme in collaboration with leading universities in the UK and Australia. He is now a Module Leader for International Business Cultures; Programme Leader for the undergraduate selective Get Ahead Programme and teaching fellow for postgraduate and undergraduate OB and HRM modules. Before entering academia, Gratien spent 2 years with Citibank credit card division in India.
In addition to his teaching and research, responsibilities Dr David Pillai is the Programme Leader for the Get Ahead Programme, a Talent Management programme for final year Undergraduate students. He also leads on the OIL projects (Online International Learning) at Coventry University London and has successfully conducted OIL Projects with International Partner Universities in Europe and in the Middle East.
- PgCert Higher Education Professional Practice, Coventry University, 2016
- PhD (Management), University of Birmingham, 2014
- MBA (Business Administration), Assumption University, 1996
Professional and Industry Memberships
- Chartered Academic Member, CIPD
- Member of the British Academy of Management
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
Research and Consultancy
Dr David Pillai’s main research interests are in the impact of organisational and economic factors on employees’ perceptions and experience of WLB, flexible working, line managers’ attitudes and behaviours and organisational culture, particularly in the public sector. His PhD examined the Impact of Organisational and Economic Factors on Work-Life Balance Perceptions and Experiences: A Case Study Analysis.
Publications and Scholarship Activities
- Co-presented papers with Aaron Taylor at the APT conference- University of Greenwich (July 2016) on “Digging for OIL: Engaging International Students in Learning in Higher Education in the UK”; and at the RAISE Conference – Loughborough University (September 2016) on “Digging for OIL: The role of Online International Learning and integrated field trips in enhancing student engagement and performance".
- Key Note Speaker at the University of Jordan 2016 conference on ‘Sustainability’ (April 2016).
- Leading in a Changing World
- International Business Cultures
- Foundations in Organisational Behaviour