Dr Gratien David Pillai
Course Director, Global Business MBA
Dr Gratien David Pillai has 20 years' teaching experience in both UK and international higher education. He taught Organisational Behaviour and HRM at Warwick and Birmingham Universities in the UK, and at Assumption University and SIBA International Programme in Bangkok, before joining Coventry University London in 2014.
In addition to teaching, Gratien held senior management roles at SIBA International Programme, where he helped to set up an international programme in collaboration with leading universities in the UK and Australia. He is now a Module Leader for International Business Cultures and teaching fellow for postgraduate and undergraduate OB and HRM modules. Before entering academia, Gratien spent 2 years with Citibank credit card division in India.
In addition to his teaching and research responsibilities, Dr David Pillai is the Course Director for the Global Business MBA course. He also leads on the COIL projects (Collaborative Online International Learning) at Coventry University London and has successfully conducted COIL Projects with international partner universities in Europe and the Middle East.
- PgCert Higher Education Professional Practice, Coventry University, 2016
- PhD (Management), University of Birmingham, 2014
- MBA (Business Administration), Assumption University, 1996
Professional and Industry Memberships
- Chartered Academic Member, CIPD
- Member of the British Academy of Management
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
Research and Consultancy
Dr David Pillai’s main research interests are in the impact of organisational and economic factors on employees perceptions and experience of WLB, flexible working, line managers attitudes and behaviours and organisational culture, particularly in the public sector. His PhD examined the Impact of Organisational and Economic Factors on Work-Life Balance Perceptions and Experiences: A Case Study Analysis.
Publications and Scholarship Activities
- Contribution to a book chapter, titled Leadership: Its role within small and medium sized enterprises”, published in October 2021
- An analysis of gender inequality at a US investment bank in Japan (working paper)
- Co-presented papers with Aaron Taylor at the APT conference - University of Greenwich (July 2016) on Digging for OIL: Engaging international students in learning in higher education in the UK”; and at the RAISE Conference – Loughborough University (September 2016) on Digging for OIL: The role of online international learning and integrated field trips in enhancing student engagement and performance".
- Leading in a Changing World
- International Business Cultures
- Foundations in Organisational Behaviour