Introduction to First Line Management
Managing staff for the first time can be a daunting prospect. However, it can also be the start of one of the most rewarding journeys of any career. This course will equip you with knowledge and practical tools to support you in achieving results through others, whilst also motivating and developing your team.o is
What will I get out of this course?
You will gain skills that help you to:
- Adopt the most effective management style according to the situation
- Develop plans that optimise the achievement of team objectives
- Communicate with others in a way that creates clarity and commitment
- Utilise and develop the capability of the team and individual staff members.
Topics covered include:
- Leadership and management styles, skills and behaviours
- Practical objective setting, planning, organising and control
- Communication skills
- Team development and team building
- Developing University, team and individual capability
- Managing performance
- Managing personal learning and development.
Who is it for?
- Newly appointed team leaders and first-line managers, or those still relatively new to managing people: programme provides a foundation in many areas critical to success.
- More experienced managers with no formal management development: programme offers framework that will validate your experience.
- Those considering a move into management: programme provides a 'taster' of aspects of management you will need to consider.
If unsure please contact the Learning and Development team to discuss the most appropriate development option.
Participant preparation needed?
Some questionnaires may be sent out to you in advance of the programme.
You are likely to benefit further by attending specific, in-depth workshops or activities from within the Management and Leadership Development and Personal Skills section of this Directory.
Length of course