Employment Law Essentials for Managers
This course will outline the most common areas where managers need to be aware of the legal framework and good practice which impacts on their day to day management responsibilities. By attending this course managers will become aware of the importance of the University’s policies and procedures, what they are and why they are there. The course will also build confidence allowing managers to deal with people management issues in a fair and lawful manner.
What will I get out of this course?
Topics covered include:
- Contracts of employment - what makes up a contract
- Overview on the type of claims that can be brought arising from employment disputes and what is taken into account
- The disciplinary procedure and managing conduct issues
- Managing performance
- How to deal with grievances
- Managing absence whether that be short term, long term or suspicious
- Introduction to discrimination - a look at the 6 protected areas and the various types of discrimination that can occur and how to avoid this.
- Review of the day.
Who is it for?
All line managers involved in the management of people.
Length of course