Staff information

Staff information

This page is updated regularly to provide you with important information about how Brexit may affect you as a current or future member of staff. The information is based on the latest UK Government guidelines.

You do not need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you:

  • are an Irish citizen
  • have indefinite leave to remain or enter the UK, but you can still apply if you wish.

Family members of Irish citizens who are EU, EEA or Swiss nationals will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

You and your family need to apply to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020 if you're from any of the following: 

  • the EU (except Ireland*)
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland. 

If you don’t know whether to apply, you can complete this quick questionnaire

* Irish citizens do not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. Their non-Irish, non-British family members (EU, EEA and Swiss) will need to apply if they want to stay in the UK. 

For more information, visit

You must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme so you and your family members get the immigration status you need to continue to live, work and study in the UK.

If you are successful, this 'pre-settled' or 'settled' status means you remain eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you meet the requirements and want to apply.

For more information, visit

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens, as well as their non-EU family members, need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. The list of EEA countries, along with information on any exceptions is available on

Irish citizens do not need to apply, but they can if they want to. Their non-Irish, non-British family members (EU, EEA and Swiss) will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if they want to stay in the UK.

For more information, visit More useful sources are listed below:

The UK is introducing a points-based immigration system from 1 January 2021.

On 13 July 2020, the government set out further details on the UK's points-based system. These new arrangements start on 1 January 2021, once freedom of movement with the EU has ended.

You can find further details here of the new ways to apply to work, live and study in the UK from 1 January 2021.

Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change from 1 January 2021.

Things you may need to do before you go include:

  • checking your passport
  • get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
  • checking that you have the right driving documents.

There are more things to do if you're travelling for business. This includes going to meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music.

You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel. Check each country's travel advice page for information on how to get a visa or permit.

You can find information the government web site for UK nationals living in the EU, EEA EFTA, Switzerland and Ireland. This includes guidance on residency, healthcare and the Withdrawal Agreement.

The Withdrawal Agreement means that the UK can continue to participate in EU programmes, including Horizon 2020, that are financed by the 2014-2020 Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) until their closure (i.e. for the lifetime of grants).

Visit the UK Research Office website for more information.

Manage cookie settings
Coventry University No.1 Modern University No.1 Modern University in the Midlands
Coventry University awarded TEF GOLD Teaching Excellence Framework
University of the year shortlisted
QS Five Star Rating 2020
Coventry City of Culture 2021