QTS Apprenticeship Route plus PGCE
Our QTS Apprenticeship Route plus PGCE (also known as a Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship) is a nationally recognised work-based route into teaching and is available at primary and secondary level in England. The course is an alternative route to traditional initial teacher training, and offers a postgraduate-level qualification leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), no tuition fees, and the opportunity to earn while you learn. The course is funded through a school’s Apprenticeship levy.
Who is eligible?
- You’ll be employed by a school while you train to teach on the job. In most cases, this will be a school you’re already working at, or have an existing relationship with.
- If you’re currently working as an unqualified teacher or teaching assistant, the course offers new opportunities for career progression and higher earning capacity.
Our training programme
Primary & Secondary
Our course is offered at Primary level (5-11 age range) and across a range of subjects at Secondary level (11-16, 11-18 age ranges). The course is also offered for the 14-19 age range in subjects, which are usually only taught in Key Stages 4 & 5.
PGCE with 60 Masters credits and Qualified Teacher Status
The course includes a PGCE with 60 Masters level credits, and you will work towards achieving Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
- The course can be studied full-time (12 months) or part-time (24 months).
- You can start the course in July, November or February. Whilst these start-dates may seem strange, they allow for an introductory element of the course to be studied prior to the start of a new school term.
As the majority of your training will be delivered online, you will not be required to regularly be away from school to attend university lectures. In school, you will put into practice straightaway the learning from online teaching, materials, webinars and live tutorials. You will be part of a cohort of fellow trainee teachers, with whom you will share experiences and learning online each week.
As the course is online, you are able to study with us from anywhere in England. Your school will be required to meet our criteria, and we are able to support them through this process.
Your own Personal University Tutor and in-school mentor
Your Personal University Tutor will work closely with you throughout the course both on a 1-1 basis and within a small group cohort. You will also have regular guidance from an experienced in-school mentor, who will receive initial and ongoing training and support from us.
Up to two in-person educational conferences provide opportunities for trainees to come together and share experiences. Accommodation and sustenance are included for ‘in-person’ conferences.
Assessment is varied and designed to aid learning. It includes lesson observations, case study research, oral presentations and written assignments. You will also receive visits to your school from a University Assessor, who will observe your teaching and provide feedback on your progress.
A Practical Teaching Practice module runs throughout the course, and regular feedback helps you to develop your skills. At the end of the course, a final assessment is made on whether you meet the Teachers’ Standards.
As with all Apprenticeship programmes, you will also complete an end point assessment (EPA) after the course is completed, which is an opportunity for you to demonstrate the learning acquired throughout the course.
You will have achieved the following minimum requirements to be eligible to apply for our QTS Apprenticeship Route plus PGCE:
- A degree awarded by a UK higher education provider, or a recognised equivalent qualification.
- A standard equivalent to grade C/4, or above, in GCSE English and mathematics examinations.
If you intend to train to teach primary aged pupils, you must also have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C/4, or above, in a GCSE science subject examination.
In addition to these academic qualifications, you must also:
- Demonstrate you hold the right to work and study in the UK and/or have been resident in the UK/EEA for the last 3 years.
- Not already be on a programme which is Government funded.
- QTS Apprenticeship Route - £9,000.
- Plus PGCE award for no additional cost, as a full bursary applies.
How to apply for this course
To start your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your employing school.