Eligibility and Proof of Funds

To be granted a visa as a full-time student, you must pass a points-based assessment and score 40 points.

  • 30 points for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from Coventry University, which includes a valid CAS reference number. Please note: each CAS is only valid for 6 months and can only be used once. If you apply using a used CAS you will automatically be refused your visa.
  • 10 points for showing that you have enough money to cover the cost of your course, and your monthly living expenses in the UK, for up to 9 months.

The Home Office has specified the amount of money that you will need to show before they grant you the 10 points for this section. If you are studying in the UK for the first time, or applying for a Visa extension, you will need:

Length of course CU Coventry
9 months or less Course fees and £1015 for each month of the course
More than 9 months First year of course fees and £9135 to cover living costs for 9 months in the UK


The Home Office will ask to see proof of money in the form of bank statements, a letter from your bank or a passbook showing amounts held in your bank account. This account must be in your name or your parent’s/legal guardian’s name and funds must have been in your account for a consecutive 28 days from the closing balance.

If using your parent’s/legal guardian’s account, you need to show evidence that you are related to them and that you have permission to use their money. This is usually by showing an original birth certificate and a signed letter confirming your parents are willing to sponsor you and that you are their son or daughter.

The Home Office have now issued information about banks from which they will not accept proof of funds. You can view these under ‘Immigration Rules appendix P: lists of financial institutions’ on their website.