I have three decades’ experience in the film industry, where I have pioneered fresh approaches across filmmaking and education. My ventures with BBC, Channel4/Film4, BFI, etc., have embraced new technology and explored new territory.
My ground breaking A Sarajevo Diary and Eutopia! established the digital revolution in documentary film, and my feature films My Brother Tom and The Living and the Dead won awards at many film festivals and kick-started the international careers of talent involved. I worked as development producer on Edgar Reitz’ Heimat III, for Tall Stories Ltd., and the European Media Programme.
Drawing on my film industry career management skills, I have been regularly invited to speak at festivals, training organisations and coproduction markets across Europe, Asia and the Caribbean. At Coventry, I am currently developing a new MA Film TV delivered online to reflect filmmaking and broadcasting opportunities in the 21st Century.
- MA Film & Television (University of Westminster), 1996.
- Fellow Higher Education Academy, 2010.
- Voting Member British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) since 2002.
I am curious about the strategies filmmakers use to acquire the new skills and procedures to meet the new requirements of their next project.
In 2007 I was awarded a Teaching Fellowship that enabled me to pursue this investigation. This allowed me to establish Reflective Film Analysis through conferences and peer-reviewed publications. The research outcomes found application in course design at SAE Institute and Raindance/Staffordshire University where it became part of a Higher Education Innovation Fund project, and outcomes were presented at the 2012 Media Education Summit.
My ambition is to develop this research by applying action research, experiential learning theory and emerging neuropsychological approaches to filmmaker interviews.
Recent outputs and publications
- Schoenfeld, C. (2014) Always Read The Label! — 7 Questions You Should Ask Your Filmschool Before Applying [online]
- Schoenfeld, C. (2011) Manifesto against Flatpack Degrees (and for self-directed learning) [online]
- Schoenfeld, C. (2010) ‘Developing a Method of Reflective Film Analysis’. Media Education Research Journal 1 (1), 43-58.
- Schoenfeld, C. (2010) ‘Implementing Reflective Film Analysis’. Media, Culture, Communication Subject Association Conference. Held 6-8 January 2010 in London, UK.
- Schoenfeld, C. (1995) ‘Franz Osten’s ‘The Light of Asia’ (1926): A German-Indian film of Prince Buddha’. Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television 15 (4), 555-561.