Police Registration

Some international students and their family members are required to register with the police as an overseas visitor. If you need to do this, it will be indicated on the visa sticker in your passport. Registering as an overseas visitor is a legal requirement and must be completed.

The pandemic has resulted in decreased availability of the police registration service and the UK Government are aware that you cannot always register within 7 days of arrival (the deadline imposed prior to Covid-19). For more information about the current availability of the service, please see the Metropolitan Police website.

Failure to register is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution, a fine of up to £5,000 or a ban from the UK.

For further information, including where to go and what documents you will need, visit the Metropolitan Police website. Students living in Greater London should register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office.

Changing your address after you register

If you change your address, you must inform the police within seven days. You can do this at any local police station.

Updating your visa/BRP information

Residents of London boroughs: If you get a new visa or BRP card, you must go to the Overseas Visitor Records Office get your certificate updated within seven days of receiving your new visa.

Residents living outside London boroughs: If you get a new visa or BRP card, you should go to your nearest police station and show them your new visa or BRP card.

Coventry University joint top modern university for career prospects
University of the year shortlisted
QS Five Star Rating 2020
Coventry City of Culture 2021