Skip to main content

Health and Medical Care

Registering with a doctor

You will need to register with a doctor (GP), taking your passport, evidence that you are a student, and proof of your UK address.



You will be eligible for free NHS consultation or treatment if:


  • You are an overseas student and your course of study is longer than six months

If you are from a country not listed above and your course of study is shorter than six months you will be treated as a private patient.



We recommend that you register at the following medical centre:

Holborn Medical Centre

64-66 Lamb’s Conduit St. London. WC1 N3N


Alternatively, to find your nearest doctor, visit the NHS website. This website also locates your nearest:

  • Pharmacy
  • Dentist
  • Accident and Emergency

You can use the following private centre for emergencies:

The City of London Clinic (£)

Renown House, 33–34 Bury Street, London, EC3A 5AR

Monday to Friday, 7.30 am – 6.30 pm

020 3627 5831


Useful phone numbers

999 is emergency phone number for ambulance, police or fire services

111 for less urgent medical calls


Health Surcharge for overseas students

If you are an overseas student and paid a health surcharge as part of your visa you will not need to pay a fee to see a GP. You will need your BRP card or IHS number. This does not cover all services, such as prescriptions, dental treatment or eye tests. For further information, contact International Student Services at

The Queen's Award for Enterprise
University of the year shortlisted
QS Five Star Rating 2023