Skip to main content

Council Tax

Council tax is a system of taxation on domestic properties collected by local authorities to pay for public services.

Full-time students are normally eligible for council tax exemption, provided that everyone at the address is aged 18 or over and is a full-time student. If you live with someone who is not a full-time student, you may be eligible for a 25% discount.


Working out if you are a full-time student for Council Tax purposes

You will usually be considered a full-time student for Council Tax purposes if:

  • You attend a university or college course lasting for at least one academic year and study for at least 21 hours per week during term time; or
  • You are under 20 and your course leads to a qualification up to (but not above) A level standard or equivalent - as long as it lasts for more than three months and involves more than 12 hours of study per week.

All full-time students at Coventry University London are considered to be full-time, and therefore could be exempt from paying council tax.


Applying for council tax exemption

If you live in a hall of residence you are exempt from council tax automatically, and you will not need to apply for council tax exemption.

If you are a full-time student and rent privately, then you should apply for the council tax exemption from your Local Authority. To submit your application, you will need a student status letter, which you can create on Nova*. Please allow up to two days to collect your letter.

To find out your local authority, and for further information, please visit the following Council Tax pages.

If you have any questions please visit the Student Information Desk.

*Students on Pre-sessional English, Erasmus and accelerated courses must request a letter by email to To access Nova you will need to use your student log-in. 

The Queen's Award for Enterprise
University of the year shortlisted
QS Five Star Rating 2023