Skip to main content

Health Checks

As part of your visa application you may be asked to take part in a medical examination. Please be aware of the following information:

Tuberculosis (TB) Screening

If you are studying in the UK for more than 6 months and are from a country where there is a risk of TB infection, and you have not had a vaccination, you will need to have a medical test. Make an appointment to visit an approved Home Office TB testing centre and receive a certificate that shows that you don’t have TB after having your medical test.

You will need to provide the medical certificate along with your other documents when applying for your visa. You should bring a doctor’s letter, and if required, a recent chest x-ray with you when you travel. Many countries are already screening applicants who are coming to the UK for more than 6 months. If you are tested and are free from TB you will be issued with a certificate confirming this. It is compulsory for individuals from certain countries to screen for TB and add the medical certificate to their visa application documents. Failure to add your TB Screening results to your visa application may result in a visa refusal.

For more information and to find out if you are required to test for TB visit the Home Office website here:


Other Immunisations

The Department of Health has recommended vaccination against meningitis C following outbreaks of the strain amongst university students in the UK. This has resulted in a dramatic reduction of the disease. The best time to have this vaccination is before coming to university to allow enough time for immunity to develop.

It is advised that you approach your doctor one month before you are due to arrive in the UK, or at least two weeks at the latest. It is important to note that this vaccination does not provide protection against other strains of meningitis. If you choose to have the vaccination you should bring your vaccination certificate or card with you.

If you are unable to receive your vaccination before you arrive you will be able to obtain it in the UK, once you have registered with a doctor. Any questions you have about the vaccine are best discussed with your family doctor. Usually by the time UK students have reached the age of 16 they will also have completed their immunisation against diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, rubella and TB. It is advised that you check your immunisation status against these diseases before arrival.

The Queen's Award for Enterprise
University of the year shortlisted
QS Five Star Rating 2023