Head of Department - Management and Human Resources
Over the last 20 years, John’s career and passion has been about developing other people to achieve their full potential. John has a track record of successful HRM and L&D roles working as a generalist HRBP and a specialist in leadership and organisational development for global organisations such as Marks & Spencer plc and The Washington Post Group. He is an experienced recruiter for all levels of management from graduate managers to senior leaders as well as a qualified practitioner of psychometric tools for coaching, careers counseling and personal development.
John has also set up and run two successful consulting firms specialising in the development of bespoke IT systems and the provision of change management services for businesses across the UK and Europe.
John is the author of many bespoke internal leadership and management training programmes and publications for Marks & Spencer plc. John is a regular reviewer for publishers including Oxford University Press and Palgrave Macmillan.
- PhD registration
- MSc Organisational Behaviour, Birkbeck College University of London UK, 2008
- PgCert Higher Education Professional Practice, Coventry University UK, 2013
- BA Hons Drama & English Literature, University of Kent at Canterbury UK, 1995
Professional and Industry Memberships
- Academic MCIPD, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, London UK
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
- External Examiner on the MSc Human Resource Management, New Bucks University UK (2015-2018)
Research and Consultancy
John is currently researching careers in Human Resource Development (Learning & Development, Coaching & Mentoring and Organisation Development) with a specific focus on external consultancy roles in global organisations.
Publications and Scholarship Activities
- Watkins, J. & Hoare, B., (2009) A fresh perspective on job-sharing, Talent Management Review, Vol.3 Issue 3, London: Osney Media
- Developing People
- Leading in a Changing World
- Consulting Projects