Dr Liyan Tang
Principal Lecturer in Accounting
Liyan Tang is Principal Lecturer in Accounting at Coventry University London. Liyan manages an academic team and coordinates projects and strategically important activities. Liyan has sixteen years of experience in teaching and research in HE, previously holding roles at Kent Business School, Imperial College Business School, Imperial College London Consultants and Nottingham University Business School. Liyan has taught financial accounting, management accounting and financial reporting and analysis to students at undergraduate level and advanced financial accounting at postgraduate level. Liyan enjoys integrating research and teaching to infuse up-to-date research data and debates into curricula.
Liyan has conducted research on the effects of accounting information on pension members’ investment judgements, analysing UK occupational pension schemes. She has also engaged in consultancy work to examine risk management effects on equity and liability, and interest rate and currency derivatives used by 500 FTSE Global firms. Liyan is currently working on collaborative research in the area of performance management.
- PhD in Pension Accounting (2009), Imperial College Business School, Imperial College London
- MFin in International Finance and Financial Institutions (2002), University of Glasgow
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE) (2012), University of Kent
Professional and Industry Memberships
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Liyan’s main research areas are pension accounting, hedge accounting and performance management. Liyan is also interested in exploring how teaching can best benefit from technology. Liyan had worked on research projects funded by ACCA and IAAER-KPMG, which led to research deliverables presented at an ICAEW London workshop and publication of an ACCA research report. Liyan had also worked on a research project funded by the Leverhulme Trust. Liyan is experienced in supervising PhD students to completion and providing peer review to international academic journals. Liyan has presented research output at various national and international conferences including the European Accounting Association Annual Congress, Comparative International Governmental Accounting Research Conference and conference of UK Shareholders’ Association.
Publications and Scholarship Activities
- Klumpes, P.J.M., McKee, M., Atun, R. and Tang, L. (2015) ‘Financial Sustainability, Accounting and Society’, Social Science Research Network (SSRN) Working Papers
- Tang, L. and Klumpes, P.J.M. (2015) ‘Measuring PAYG Pension Liabilities of Listed Chinese SOEs to Incorporate Future Cash Flows’, Social Science Research Network (SSRN) Working Papers
- Klumpes, P.J.M., Wang, P., Tang, L. and Abhyankar, A. (2011) ‘The Impact of Hedge Accounting Rules on Enterprise Risk Management Adoption Practices by Multinationals’ Social Science Research Network (SSRN) Working Papers
- Abhyankar, A., Klumpes, P.J.M., Tang, L. and Wang, P. (2010) ‘Derivatives Reporting Practices by Multinationals’, The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Research Report No.117
- Klumpes, P.J.M., Tang, L. and Wang, P. (2010) ‘Alternative measurement bases in pension accounting: A simulation analyses, Insurance Markets and Companies: Analyses and Actuarial Computations, Vol. 1. (1), pp. 27-37
- Klumpes, P.J.M. and Tang, L. (2009) ‘Shortcomings of Government Financial Management: A Generational Accounting Critique’, International Journal on Government Financial Management, Vol. IX.(2), pp. 58-72
- Klumpes, P.J.M. and Tang, L. (2008) ‘The Cost Incidence of the UK's NHS System’, The Geneva Papers on Risk & Insurance -Issues & Practice, Vol.33. (4), pp. 744-767
- Klumpes, P.J.M. and Tang, L. (2008) ‘Pension Underfunding: A Generational Accounting Perspective’, In: Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy, Berman, E.M., Rabin, J. (Eds.), Taylor & Francis, New York
- Klumpes, P.J.M., McCrae, M. and Tang, L. (2006) ‘Pension Underfunding in the Public Sector: A Generational Accounting Perspective’, In: Accounting Reform in the Public Sector: Mimicry, Fad or Necessity, Lande, E., Scheid, J.C. (Eds.), Experts Comptables Media, Paris
- Managerial Finance