Entering a new study environment can be challenging, not only in terms of language, but also in adjusting to a new academic culture which may be very different to what you are used to.
Our Pre-Sessional English programmes will help prepare you in both of these areas so that you can meet the demands of the academic course you wish to progress onto. You will be taught by highly qualified and experienced lecturers who understand the challenges and anxieties faced by international students.
Course Dates and Fees
The Pre-Sessional English programme is a full-time course designed to:
- Ensure you meet the minimum language requirements needed for your chosen Coventry University London degree course
- Help you adopt approaches to your studies and learn strategies and skills that will enable you to succeed in UK higher education
- Raise your awareness and ability to use academic English appropriately and effectively in speech and writing
- Allow you to familiarise yourself with the University’s facilities ahead of your academic course
- Assist you in being able to work independently during your studies
You will have lessons focusing on:
Reading and writing – you will learn how to write in an appropriate academic style, how to read more effectively and how to incorporate sources that you read into your writing.
Speaking and listening – you will develop your lecture listening skills and practice note-taking techniques; you will also learn how to give a successful academic presentation and how to participate in seminar discussions.
Study skills – you will learn much-needed study skills such as time management, referencing, avoiding plagiarism and critical thinking.
English in your subject – you will study and practice the specific subject language of your chosen degree area in preparation for your course.
By achieving the level of performance required in the Pre-sessional English programme, meeting the University’s academic entry requirements and any other outstanding conditions, you will be able to progress on to your Coventry University London course without needing to retake an IELTS exam.
Course Dates and Fees
The length of your Pre-sessional English programme will be determined by:
- Your current level of English
- The entry level you will need to reach for your undergraduate or postgraduate degree
You can use the table below to calculate the length of course you will need. Each component score for reading, writing, speaking and listening must be considered because in order to be successful in your degree you will need to be able to demonstrate use of all our four English language skills.