Website Privacy Notice
Who are we?
In this Website Privacy Notice, the terms "we", "our", and "us" refer to Coventry University Higher Education Corporation, Priory Street, Coventry, United Kingdom, CV1 5FB (ICO registration number Z6939585). Coventry University Wroclaw is a branch of Coventry University Higher Education Corporation. You can find the full details of the Group structure here.
As a controller of your personal data we are responsible for looking after it, and we will use it fairly, lawfully, and in a transparent manner.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. This notice will help you understand how we look after, use, store and share your personal data, and how we meet our obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation 2016, the Data Protection Act 2018 and other applicable laws regulating personal data processing (Data Protection Laws). It supplements any other notices or statements we may provide to you.
What do the key terms mean?
"Personal data" means any information we hold about you from which you can be identified. It may include contact details, identification numbers, other personal information, photographs and expressions of opinion about you or indications as to our intentions about you.
"Processing" means doing anything with the personal data, such as collecting, recording, organising, structuring, storing, adapting or altering, retrieving, accessing, consulting, disclosing, disseminating, aligning or combining, restricting, erasing or destroying or using the data in any way.
What personal data do we collect?
We will only collect personal data (such as your name, address and contact details) or other information, as may be listed in the relevant data collection form, via the Coventry University Wroclaw Website, when it is voluntarily submitted by you to us. We may collect and process the following data about you for the purposes specified:
- Personal details given to us by you via on-line forms will be used to provide you with information, goods or services you have requested, such as course brochures or prospectuses. The details you provide will not be used for marketing purposes unless you have been informed of this and have expressly consented to having your details used for this purpose;
- Information provided by you via feedback forms or questionnaires will be used in our legitimate interest so to improve our site;
- Information provided by you when reporting a fault with the Coventry University Wroclaw Website will be used for the purposes of rectifying that fault, in accordance with the legitimate interests of Coventry University Wroclaw;
- If you contact us we may keep a record of that correspondence so as to deal with and/or respond to that correspondence, as is necessary for the performance of any contract with you or in order to take step at your request prior to the entering into of a contract, and/or where such processing is in the legitimate interests of Coventry University Wroclaw;
- Personal data provided as part of any online application process for an employment opportunity shall be processed so as to allow us to process and evaluate the merits of that application, in accordance with our legitimate interests.
Why do we collect your personal data and how do we use it?
- To deal with and/or respond to any enquiry or request made by you prior to entering into any contract or agreement with Coventry University Wroclaw or as a result of such contract or agreement;
- To ensure that content on the Coventry University Wroclaw Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer, in accordance with our legitimate interests;
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of the Coventry University Wroclaw Website, if/when you choose to do so, whether this be prior to you entering into any contract or agreement with us or as a result of the same;
- To comply with a legal obligation to which Coventry University Wroclaw is subject;
- To notify you about any changes to Coventry University Wroclaw or the courses or services offered, where it is in our legitimate interests to do so and where you have expressed an interest in the same previously, where such notification is required so as to allow us to perform any contractual agreement with you, or where you have expressly opted in to receiving such communications.
We may also collect, use and share Aggregated Data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated Data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. For example, we may aggregate your Usage Data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific website feature. However, if we combine or connect Aggregated Data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as personal data which will be used in accordance with this website privacy notice.
How long do we keep your personal data for?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from its unauthorised use or disclosure, the purposes for processing it and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
IP addresses and cookies
Information about your computer including logging information, such as your machine's IP address, operating system and browser type, may be collected automatically by the server and used for system administration and statistical purposes only. This is statistical data about the browsing actions and patterns of users of Coventry University Wroclaw’s website, and does not identify any individual.
Where we store your personal data
Coventry University Higher Education Corporation is an international corporation and your personal data may be transferred across international borders. It may be transferred to countries that have different levels of data protection laws to the country from where you submitted your personal data. Coventry University Higher Education Corporation (as Data Controller) has, where local data protection regulations so require, put in place security measures for the export of personal data from its jurisdiction to Third-Party Data Processors. They shall ensure that security measures are in place, and that your personal data is processed only in accordance with applicable Data Protection laws. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storage and processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this website privacy notice and that it is subject to appropriate safeguards.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access specific parts of the Coventry University Wroclaw Website, you are responsible for keeping that password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information we will use strict procedures and security features to try and prevent unauthorised access.
Disclosure of your personal data
Information about you will only be disclosed to relevant employees of the Coventry University Group, and will not be revealed to third parties outside it, unless:
- we are under a legal duty to disclose or share your personal data;
- we do so in order to enforce any agreements that may be entered into between us; or
- we do so to protect the rights, property or safety of the Coventry University Group, its students, staff or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud prevention and credit risk reduction.
Your Data Protection Rights
You have the right to:
Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data that we hold about you, and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data that we hold about you corrected, although we may need to verify the accuracy of the new personal data.
Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data if:
- there is no good reason for us continue processing it;
- you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below);
- you believe we may have processed your personal data unlawfully; or
- we are required to erase your personal data to comply with the law.
Please note that we may not be able to comply with your request for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, will be notified to you.
Object to processing of your personal data when we are relying on public task or a legitimate interest (or those of a third party), and you feel that this processing impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. However, these may be overridden by the public interest or our legitimate interest grounds.
Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios:
- if you want us to establish the accuracy of the data;
- where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it;
- where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it (for example if you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims); or
- If you have objected to our use of your data, but we need to verify whether we have overriding public interest or legitimate interest grounds to use it.
Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Please note that this right only applies to automated data that you initially provided consent for us to use, or where we used the data to perform a contract with you.
Withdraw consent at any time when we are relying on consent to process your personal data. This will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the “unsubscribe” (or similar) links on any marketing message sent to you, or by contacting us at any time.
When you opt out of receiving these marketing messages you will no longer hear from us in that regard.
Exercising your rights
If you wish to exercise any of your above rights, please send a written request to the Information Governance Unit, Coventry University, Portal House, 163 New Union Street, Coventry, CV1 2PL, or email email@example.com.
You will not have to pay a fee to exercise any of your rights. However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We may need to confirm your identity. This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information, in order to speed up our response.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month, although it may take us longer if your request is particularly complex, or if you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
Complaints and questions
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer to oversee compliance with this Privacy Notice. If you have any concerns of complaints about it, please contact the Data Protection Officer, Gurdeep Chayra, at Coventry University, Portal House, Alan Berry Building, Priory Street, Coventry, CV1 5FB, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not satisfied with the proposed resolution of your complaint, you have the right to contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (further information can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website at www.ico.org.ukor via their helpline on 0303 123 1113) or any other competent data protection authority in the Republic of Poland - President of the Personal Data Protection Office (further information can be found on the at www.uodo.gov.pl or via their Infoline (in Polish): 606-950-000).
We reserve the right to update this Privacy Notice at any time. Any updated versions will be made available on our website.
If you have feedback for us about this privacy notice, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.