Focus of our Research
This group focuses on delivering teaching, training and CPD to reduce manufacturing variation and uncertainty through improved product and process control. The group has an impressive range of dimensional measurement equipment, ranging from hand tools to 3D coordinate measurement machines and staff with not only extensive knowledge and experience of teaching and training but also of applying metrology in the production environment. The group has developed its own training materials and run the UK’s only Foundation Degree in Metrology.
Research and Delivery Themes
Metrology underpins the research across the whole Research Centre by:
- Extending and enhancing learning and education courses in metrology into a cohesive pathway for metrology skills and education in response to industrial needs
- Developing and delivering a cohesive, comprehensive and flexible suite of metrology training materials which sit within a recognised progression framework
- Providing both strategic and tactical measurement consultancy to meet the current and future needs of manufacturing.
- Engaging in applied research in 3D, non-contact measurement that has well defined and widely recognised industrial impact
Coventry University has an extensive Metrology knowledge bank and practical manufacturing experience. We have worked with hundreds of businesses from SMEs to global manufacturing companies, helping to get the best out of their measurement capability.
Our Metrology team's complementary blend of real-world and academic knowledge offers a broad scope of experience across a variety of sectors. Our value is in providing independent advice that can be enhanced by a 300-strong team of experts across the Faculty of Engineering, Environment and Computing: so we can help to fix the whole problem rather than just part of it.
We are a professional solutions provider not a product reseller. Our services include training, consultancy and research. We are firmly established as a trusted partner for confidential data and research projects.
You can contact the Metrology team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +44 (0) 24 7765 9009.
Manufacturing industry since 1975, working extensively in calibration and measurements disciplines
Metrology Specialist with over 25 years of experience in the application of dimensional metrology
30 years of experience within the aeronautical and advanced manufacturing engineering
Our Metrology team is located in the new and iconic Engineering & Computing building, at the heart of one of the UK's historic engineering cities. The £55m building is a state-of-the-art design that brings under one roof a range of imaginative learning spaces, laboratories, workshops and lecture theatres. Our aim is that our new building will enable businesses and the University to work together testing and validating new technologies, solving problems, identifying issues and developing solutions with our students.
Our Metrology Laboratories:
Our temperature and vibration controlled Metrology laboratories house an impressive range of dimensional Metrology equipment including:
- A wide variety of handheld dimensional measuring instruments and training kits
- Profile projector, surface texture and profile tracer
- Dedicated turned part profile co-ordinate measuring system
- CNC Co-ordinate Measuring Machine (700 x 1,000 x 600mm) with continuous scanning capability
- Portable measuring arms (includes a 3D laser scanning head)
- Laser trackers
- Photogrammetry system
- Machine tool probing systems
- Various Metrology supporting software