Frequently Asked Questions | Coventry University S...

Campus Map

Working with Coventry University

Working at Coventry University

Coventry University is a diverse and exciting place to work and we share the enthusiasm of our staff and students to be the best at whatever they choose to do. As one of the City’s biggest employers, we offer some impressive benefits for our staff and are committed to delivering the very best opportunities. We have a comprehensive training, personal and professional development programme that provides our employees with the skills to enhance their performance in the workplace and grow in their careers. There are pension schemes, a generous holiday allowance and flexible working opportunities as well as lifestyle benefits including childcare vouchers, discounted membership to the £4 million sports and recreation centre and schemes such as Cycle to Work and the CU Car Share initiative.

View current job vacancies.


Staff portal

Access the central point of information for all staff across the University.


Student Portal

Check your assessments, access Solar and get course information.


Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Enquiries

How many hours of classes will I have?

Each Summer School course will have a minimum of 16 hours of contact time, this may be in the form of lecture-style sessions, workshops, activities and group work sessions. This will be course dependant; you will receive the course timetable when you enrol on the course.


Do I need my laptop for studying?

You will not be required to use a laptop for classes. Our Coventry campus has computers which you will have access to. You can use these for your studies and to keep in contact with friends and family around the world. The Lanchester Library at the Coventry campus has over 450 computers for students to use, and there are also a limited number in The Hub, our student building. However, you can bring your laptops for personal use if you wish; free Wi-Fi access is available across campus and in the accommodation.


Do I need to purchase textbooks?

No, you will have access to the University Library. 

Do I need to prepare for the Summer School before I arrive?

In most cases, we will simply ask that you to arrive with enthusiasm and excitement. In the few instances where preparation is required before arrival, you will be advised by the Summer Schools Team. As many courses suggest, you may require some existing experience or knowledge on the subject area to support with your experience at the Summer School.


How much money will I need per week?

Breakfast and lunch will be provided during the week, therefore we recommend that you are in a position to purchase evening and weekend meals or the ingredients to cook these in your equipped kitchen. In addition to this, you may like to purchase souvenirs and gifts, so please factor this in. We’d recommend approximately £70 - £100 per week, of course this would depend on your personal spending habits and preference. 


Are there any scholarships available?

The Summer Schools are excellent value for money as the fees include a number of items- you can see these on the Fees page. We are unable to offer any scholarships, however you may wish to contact your home University if you are a current student to ask whether they may be able to offer financial support. 


What happens if I have to cancel my place once I have paid and been accepted?

Once you have received a confirmation of acceptance in writing onto the Summer School, the following cancellation charges apply:

All cancellations need to be communicated in writing by the person that booked the course. This includes cancellation in case of illness. Written communication of the cancellation including the reason must be sent to 


Which visa do I need?

Please note we are unable to provide flights or visas. You will be responsible for ensuring that these arrangements are made before the course starts.

Please be aware that due to changes in visa requirements, visas may take slightly longer than anticipated so ensure that sufficient time is allowed to apply. Visa advice can be obtained through the government website.

If you are a non-visa national (your country has an agreement that you can be issued a visa on arrival in the UK), it is vital that you ask for a Short-term study visa on entry in to the UK so that you are issued with the correct type of visa. You will not be able to take part in the Summer School if you are on the wrong type of visa.

Access to Facilities

Will I have Wi-Fi access?

Yes, you will be provided with Wi-Fi access around campus and in the accommodation. Computers are also available to access on campus as and when required.


Will I have use of the university library?

Yes, you will have access to the Library during the Summer School, we recommend that you make the use of all facilities available to support your experience.


Will I have access to the university’s gym?

There is an optional fee which you can pay on arrival in order to gain access to the University Sport and Recreation Centre. You will be required to attend an induction before using the equipment and facilities.

General Enquiries

Which type of adaptor do I need in the UK?

You will need a three pin point plug adaptor for a standard UK plug. Please be aware that the UK’s plugs are different to that of European plugs.


What’s the weather like in the UK and Coventry over the summer?

The UK weather can be fairly unpredictable at times of the year. For further information please visit the BBC weather pages.

Contact us

For any other enquiries please contact the Summer Schools Team by email or contact us on Facebook.