Research Students: How to Apply
To apply, please submit an application form, a research proposal (approx 2000 words) in your intended area of study, a detailed CV, two references (one of which must be academic) and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also apply by post to:
Research Recruitment and Admissions team
Postgraduate Research Student Support Unit
Alan Berry Building
Before applying, please read our entry requirements for admission onto a research degree to check that you meet all the entry criteria.
Research Degree Applications Checklist
Please note that the following documents should be sent with your application form so that staff can make a decision quickly. All documents should be translated into English if originals are in a foreign language and be notarised.
for full detail
- If sponsored by an employer or government, you must provide evidence in the form of recently dated sponsorship letter on official headed paper.
- All Overseas applicants: A copy of the personal details page from your passport to confirm your full and correct name and date of birth. We will then ensure that any offer letters issued to you correspond with your passport name, this will help when applying for a student visa.
- Any applications containing documents that have been forged or altered will be automatically rejected.
To complete the Application Form pdf file: you must save this file to your computer and then open it in Acrobat Reader before starting to fill in the form. To do this, right-click on the download link so that a menu appears and select Save Target As or Save Link As; you can then save the file to your chosen folder on your computer, then browse to the file and open it by double-clicking on it. If you try to fill in the form while it's open in your browser, you won't be able to save the information that you've entered.
You must complete the application form in full and send in full supporting documentation. If you do not give us all the information we ask for, it will slow down the application processing and you may not be able to receive an offer in time for your requested start date. When the form is complete you should post it, together with any other documents that you are sending, to the address on the application form or email it to email@example.com.
Scanned supporting documents are acceptable at this stage – however originals will be required before enrolment is permitted. Only fully completed applications with the viable project proposal, can be processed, if supporting documentation as indicated in the list above is missing, the application will remain pending until this is provided.
Please note that you should download the PDF before you're able to edit each of the fields.
If you have any issues with downloading and completing any of these forms please contact the University on firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the form in an alternative format.
As a requirement of the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regulations, Coventry University is making a change to its sponsor letter criteria
Please ensure that you include the following within the sponsorship letter:
- To name Coventry University as the payee
- To state the course title you are willing to sponsor the student for
- To state the course start date e.g.: September 2016 or January 2017
- To list the course fees
- To include the student’s full name
This information is required to avoid delay in the release of the sponsor Visa letter/CAS due to the above information being missing from the sponsor letter.