The module introduces students to UK Nursing Midwifery Council domains of practice which are both generic and field specific (Adult Nursing) embracing professional values, communication and interpersonal skills, nursing practice and decision making along with leadership, management and team working.
There is considerable emphasis on holistic patient centred assessment and related clinical skills and their evidence basis. Revisiting clinical skills in line with UK evidence informed practice which will be addressed within clinical skills simulation centre.
This programme has two components, which are:
1) Competence and Skills for General Nursing
It consists of a single module which;
- Exposes students to aspects of the UK Nursing and Midwifery Council test processes
- Develops your awareness and confidence
- Improves knowledge and explores evidence base for UK general nursing practice
- Concentrates on assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing
- Promotes proficiency in practical clinical skills
- Uses multiple choice tests [MCQ] and Objective Structured Clinical Examination [OSCE] as assessment methods
2) IELTS Preparation
In order to register for the UK Nursing and Midwifery Council tests, students must have an IELTS of 7.0 overall, with no component lower than 7.0. This English language preparatory programme;
- Offers specific coaching from experienced IELTS teachers
- Aims to improve existing IELTS scores to 7 via an intensive programme
- Is set in the context of the University campus
- May run at the same time as ‘Competence and Skills for General Nursing'