Ian Callum, Director of Design at Jaguar talks about the role of the NTDC.
See more videos from Ian in our Video Gallery
The aims of the national Transport Design Centre can only be achieved through a singular culture which actively encourages exploration, playfulness and open-ended discovery.
The 1800 m2 NTDC is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, including:
- A 6m interactive power wall which allows users to explore detailed design and engineering concepts in virtual reality;
- Advanced clay milling facilities for creating physical models of vehicles;
- A projection mapping system which can cast digital images onto 3D objects below, helping designers to assess how multiple options would appear on full-scale models.
- Wearable devices for creating virtual, augmented and mixed reality environments
- Precision CNC milling machines for scale model creation
- A range of 3D printing technologies
- Large bed graphics printers
- Structured white-light 3D scanning for reverse engineering