Rosemary Lee, DLitt
Known for working in a variety of contexts and media, Rosemary has created large-scale site-specific works with cross-generational casts, solos for herself and other performers as well as video installations and short films for BBC.
Recent works include Under the Vaulted Sky commissioned by The Stables for Milton Keynes International Festival, Liquid Gold is the Air – a three screen video installation and winner of the Light Moves Festival prize, Without commissioned by and created with Echo Echo Dance Theatre Company, a seven-screen video installation with sound score by Graeme Miller. It captures a panoramic view of the city of Derry/Londonderry as 400 of its inhabitants dance and move through the streets. Rosemary and artist Simon Whitehead are currently creating Calling Tree, a durational performance cycle of songs, movement and messages, which takes place in and around a mature tree in Tottenham as part of LIFT 2016.
Rosemary also writes, guest teaches and lectures internationally. Recipient of both a Bonnie Bird Award and a Jerwood Choreographic Research Project Award in 2013, she is an Artsadmin Artist, a Work Place artist, a DanceEast Artist Associate 2015, a Senior Research Fellow at C-DaRE Coventry University, a ResCen Research Associate Artist (Middlesex University) and holds an honorary doctorate from Roehampton University.
Live work currently available:
- Lee, R., Whitehead, S. (2014) Calling Tree Migrations Festival -Betws y Coed North Wales, (2016) LIFT Tottenham London, Bloomsbury Festival and The Place London
- Lee, R. (2011) Melt Down as part of Square Dances Dance Umbrella London, then as a single work-(2012) Dance Umbrella London, (2012) Panorama Festival-Rio de Janeiro, (2013) Heilbronn Germany, (2014) Coastal Currents- Hastings, (2016) Bath International Music Festival, Bath Dance, ICIA.
Film Installations currently touring:
- Lee, R., Chesher, R., (2014) Liquid Gold is the Air (triptych video installation) Norfolk and Norwich
- Festival, installed in Norwich Cathedral, (2015) Hexham Music Festival, installed in Hexham Abbey, Light Moves Limerick, winner of Festival prize, (2016) St Michaels Church Bath, Christchurch Cathedral Oxford, IF Milton Keynes International Festival
- Lee, R. Director, created with Echo Echo Dance Theatre, (2013) Without (seven screen video installation) Londonderry/Derry City of Culture, (2014) Dublin Dance Festival,
Selection of previous site specific works:
- Lee, R. (2014) Under the Vaulted Sky ( promenade performance with cast of 100 local people set in arboretum- cathedral of trees). IF Milton Keynes International Festival, artist in residence. Awarded ACE Exceptional grant.
- Lee, R. (2011) Square Dances (performed in four public squares in central London with 170 performers) commissioned by Dance Umbrella.
- Lee,R. (2009) Common Dance ( performed in upper hall Greenwich Dance with 50 performers and a choir of 50 young people) commissioned by Dance Umbrella and Greenwich Dance
Symposium and DVD:
- Lee, R. Welton, M. Professor Queen Mary, University of London (2012) On Taking Care (Symposium) and DVD launch.
- Lee, R. (2012) On Taking Care (double DVD) published by Rescen.