Professor Don Harris
Don has over 30 years of experience in Human Factors in the Aerospace, Automotive and Defence Industries. He is a Fellow and a Chartered Member of the Institute for Human Factors and Ergonomics and a Chartered Psychologist. He is currently engaged with COMAC (the new Chinese aircraft manufacturer) on the design and certification of flight deck interfaces and is working on an innovative aircraft concept with a UK consortium of consisting of GE; BAE Systems Southampton University and Coventry, funded by Innovate UK.
Don was a member of the FAA/EASA Human Factors Certification Working Group that developed the new certification rules for civil aircraft flight decks and was an accident investigator attached to the Division of Army Aviation. Don is a member of the Human Factors National Technical Committee for Aerospace and Defence; is the Human Factors Special Adviser on the National Air Traffic Services Safety Review Committee and is a Visiting Professor at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. He was also a Visiting Academic in the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan RoC. Don was awarded the 2006 Hodgson prize by the Royal Aeronautical Society and in 2008 was part of the team that received the Ergonomics Society President’s Medal. Don has been chair of the Engineering Psychology and Cognitive Ergonomics conference series since 1996. He has published over 250 journal, conference papers and book chapters and has edited or written 22 books on Human Factors.
- Harris, D. and Li, W-C (Eds) (2015). Decision Making on the Flight Deck. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Harris, D. (2011) Human Performance on the Flight Deck. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Phipps, D. and Harris, D. (2014). Perceptual control and feedback control in the analysis of complex tasks. Theoretical Issues in Ergonomic Science, 15(5), 505-516.
- Harris, D., and Li, W-C. (2011) 'An Extension of the Human Factors Analysis and Classification System (HFACS) for use in Open Systems'. Theoretical Issues in Ergonomic Science 12 (2), 108-128.
- Ebbatson, M., Harris, D., Huddlestone, J., and Sears, R. (2010) 'The Relationship between Manual Handling Performance and Recent Flying Experience in Air Transport Pilots'. Ergonomics 53 (2), 268.
- Young, M.S., Stanton, N.A., and Harris, D. (2007) 'Driving automation: Learning from aviation about design philosophies'. International Journal of Vehicle Design 45 (3), 323-338.
- Li, W-C., and Harris, D. (2006) 'Pilot error and its relationship with higher organizational levels: HFACS analysis of 523 accidents'. Aviation, Space and Environmental Medicine 77 (10), 1056-1061.
- Stanton, N.A., Harris, D., Salmon, P., Demagalski, J.M., Marshall, A., Young, M.S., Dekker, S.W.A., and Waldmann, T. (2006) 'Predicting Design Induced Pilot Error using HET (Human Error Template) – A New Formal Human Error Identification Method for Flight Decks'. The Aeronautical Journal 110, 107-115.
- Harris, D., Chan-Pensley, J., and McGarry, S. (2005) 'The development of a multidimensional scale to evaluate motor vehicle dynamic qualities'. Ergonomics 48 (8), 964-982.
- Harris, D., Stanton, A., Marshall, A., Young, M.S., Demagalski, J.M., and Salmon, P. (2005) 'Using SHERPA to Predict Design-Induced Error on the Flight Deck'. Aerospace Science and Technology 9 (6), 525-532.
- Future Flight Deck: Project to develop innovative flight deck technologies and flight deck concepts for commercial aircraft.
- Flight Deck Design and Certification Support: Support to COMAC for the design and certification of flight deck interfaces to EASA/FAR 25.1302 standards.
- Analysis of Runway Incursions and Identification of Remedial Actions at Dublin Airport: Identification of Human Factors issues associated with runway incursions at Dublin and Cork airports and an assessment of the remedial actions taken.
- Human Factors CPD Course Provision: Series of CPD courses to air traffic control incident investigators.