Course Director and Assistant Professor in Fine Art
Graham is a senior lecturer in Fine Art at Coventry University. He was acting course director for the BA Fine Art in 2011-12, and course leader for MA Fine Art 2009-10. He is external examiner for the MA/MFA Fine Art courses at Cardiff Metropolitan University, and has been an external consultant at Anglia Ruskin University. His research interests are around the continuing presence and possibilities of image-based painting in contemporary art practice, with particular reference to place, memory and immanence, and the relationship between painting and photography with reference to temporality, documentation and the experience of the urban realm. Graham has an extensive record of exhibiting both nationally and internationally, and of work with arts organisations within the West Midlands.
- Chorlton, G. (2011) Some Domestic Incidents Part of the Prague Biennale 5. Exhibition subsequently shown at MAC Birmingham, UK
- Chorlton, G. (2012) There is a place [group exhibition]. Held 20 Jan-14 April 2012 at the New Art Gallery, Walsall, UK
- Chorlton, G. (2012) 'Edge of Town'.John Moores Painting Prize 2012 Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool. Part of the 2012 Liverpool Biennial.
- Chorlton, G. (2008) Bristol Rd. Held 2008-2009 in University of Birmingham, UK
- Chorlton, G. (2009) Hotel Minerva. Held 2009 in Master Piper Gallery, London, UK
- Chorlton, G. (2010) Somewhere Else. Held 2010 in the Cross Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
- Chorlton, G. (2012) Parks Hotels and Palaces. Held 2012 at the Cross Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
- Chorlton, G. (2011) The Witching Hour [group exhibition]. Held Jan–Mar 2011 in Pitshangar Manor Gallery, London, UK
- Chorlton, G. (2007) Night Boulevard [painting]. 177th Royal Hibernian Academy Annual exhibition. Held 2007 in Dublin, Ireland
- Chorlton, G. (1993) East 3 [group exhibition]. Held 1993 in Norwich Gallery, Norwich, UK
- Chorlton, G. (2008) The Art of Birmingham 1940-2008 [group exhibition]. Held 25 Nov 2008-01 Feb 2009 in Waterhall, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham, UK
- Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin, Ireland
- Chorlton, G. (2007) The Plinean Sponge, maybe? [group exhibition]. Held 2007-2008, touring venues in Ireland, including West Cork Arts Centre, and Galway Festival
- Chorlton, G. (2003) Urban Diffusion [solo exhibition]. Held 2003 in the Foyle Gallery, MAC, Birmingham, UK
- Chorlton, C. (1997) Passing [solo exhibition]. Held 1997 in Morley Gallery, London, UK
- Chorlton, G. (2000) Falsework [group exhibition]. Held 2000 in the Bonnington Gallery, Nottingham Trent University, UK
- Chorlton, G. (2010) The Vaults Bazaar [group exhibition]. Held 2010 at the Vaults, Birmingham, UK
- Dialogue: Group exhibition at Art Chartrons, Bordeaux, 2010, with further ongoing events/exhibitions. Arts Council funded.
- Refertorio: Group exhibition in Pescia, Italy: new work developed by group of artists in response to a painting of the Last Supper in the town.
- Drawing Breath: Lugar Do Desenho, Fondacao Julio Redende, Porto, Portugal. Group exhibition exploring drawing in its widest sense in a specialist art foundation.