Dr. Stuart Lemanski
After obtaining his Engineering degrees from Churchill College, Cambridge, Stuart undertook a PhD in the structural optimisation of composite helicopter rotor blades at Bristol University. After defending his thesis, a Leverhulme Study Abroad Studentship enabled mim to move to the University of Cape Town to investigate the resistance of hybrid composite panels to localised explosive blast loading, with an academic visit to Oxford University to conduct material characterisation tests.
He then spent some time in industry, working in oil and gas consultancy where he led a small team of junior engineers on R&D projects, and also in finite element analysis consultancy where he worked on a wide range of engineering problems for industrial clients.
Stuart then returned to Cambridge University, to investigate the effect of waviness (and other) defects upon the compressive strength of fibre reinforced composite materials. At the end of that funding, he spent two years working as an expert witness in structural failures and in RTA reconstruction (with a particular emphasis on the protection offered by bicycle helmets) before taking a an academic position at Coventry University to teach structural analysis and finite element modelling.
- Lemanski, S.L., Wang, J., Sutcliffe, M.P.F., Potter, K., and Wisnom, M.R. (2013) 'Modelling Failure of Composite Specimens with Defects Under Compression'. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 48, 26-36.
- Lemanski, S.L., Petrinic, N., and Nurick, G.N. (2013) 'Experimental characterisation of aluminium 6082 at varying temperature and strain rates'. Strain 9, 147-157.
- Sutcliffe, M.P.F., Lemanski, S.L., and Scott, A.E., (2012) 'Measurement of fibre waviness in industrial composite components'. Composites Science and Technology 72, 2016-2023.
- Lemanski, S.L., and Sutcliffe, M.P.F. (2012) 'Compressive failure of finite size unidirectional composite laminates with a region of fibre waviness'. 43, 435-444.
- Garstka, T., Lemanski, S., Lyons, P., Gower, M., Shaw, R., and McCartney, L.N. (2011) 'Prediction of surface cracks in thick blocked laminates with surface plies'. Proc. DFC11/SI5, Cambridge, UK
- Langdon, G.S., Lemanski, S.L., Nurick, G.N., Simmons, M.C., Cantwell, W.J., and Schleyer, G.K. (2007) 'The behaviour of fibre metal laminates subjected to localized blast loading – Part I: Experimental observations'. International Journal of Impact Engineering 67 (7), 1202-1222.
- Lemanski, S.L., Langdon, G.S., Nurick, G.N., Simmons, M.C., Cantwell, W.J., and Schleyer, G.K. (2007) 'The behaviour of fibre metal laminates subjected to localized blast loading – Part II: Quantitative analysis'. International Journal of Impact Engineering 67 (7), 1223-1245.
- Langdon, G.S., Nurick, G.N., Lemanski, S.L., Simmons, M.C., Cantwell, W.J., and Schleyer, G.K. (2007) 'Failure characterisation of blast-loaded fibre–metal laminate panels based on aluminium and glass–fibre reinforced polypropylene'. Composites Science and Technology 67 (7-8), 1385-1406.
- Lemanski, S.L., and Weaver, P.M. (2005) 'Flap-torsion coupling in sandwich beams and filled box-sections'. Thin-Walled Structures 43 (6), 923-955.
- Lemanski, S.L., Weaver, P.M., and Hill, G.F.J. (2005) 'Design of composite helicopter rotor blades to meet given cross sectional properties'. The Aeronautical Journal 109 (1100), 471-475.