Dr. Michael Duncan
Professor Mike Duncan is a BASES-accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist with research interests in the field of children, physical activity, exercise and obesity. As of July 2013 he has published over 70 peer reviewed journal papers, 20 books or chapters in edited books and over 110 peer reviewer conference presentations. He is a member of the European College of Sports Science, American College of Sports Medicine, United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association and a Fellow of the British Association of Sport and exercise Sciences. He has experience in working with elite athletes in prescribing exercise programmes and evaluating performance and also has worked extensively with community groups on topics such as physical activity interventions in children and adolescents and the effects of nutritional manipulation on cognitive and functional performance in older adults.
- Duncan, M.J., Birch, S., Al-Nakeeb, Y., and Nevill, A.M. (2012) 'Ambulatory physical activity levels of white and south Asian children in central England'. Acta Paediatrica 101 (4), 156-162.
- Duncan, M.J., and Oxford, S.W. (2012) 'Acute caffeine ingestion enhances performance and dampens muscle pain following resistance exercise to failure'. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 52 (3), 280-285.
- Duncan, M.J., Hankey, J., Lyons, M., and Nevill, A.M. (2013) 'Peak power prediction in junior basketballers: comparing linear and allometric models'. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 27 (3), 597-603.
- Duncan, M.J., Rivis, A., and Jordan, C. (2012) 'Brief report: Understanding intention to be physically active and physical activity behaviour in adolescents from a low socio-economic status background: An application of the Theory of Planned Behaviour'. Journal of Adolescence 35 (3), 761-764.
- Duncan, M.J., and Stanley, M. (2012) 'Functional Movement Is Negatively Associated with Weight Status and Positively Associated with Physical Activity in British Primary School Children'. Journal of Obesity 2012.
- Duncan, M.J., Mota, J., Vale, S., Santos, M.P., and Ribeiro, J.C. (2012) 'Comparisons between inverted body mass index (iBMI) and body mass index (BMI) as proxies for body fatness and risk factors for metabolic risk and cardiorespiratory fitness in Portuguese adolescents'. American Journal of Human Biology 24 (5), 618-625.
- Birch, S.L., Duncan, M.J., and Franklin, C. (2012) 'Overweight and reduced heart rate variability in British children: an exploratory study'. Preventive Medicine 55 (5), 430-432.
- Duncan, M.J., Mota, J., Vale, S., Santos, M.P., and Ribeiro, J.C. (2012) 'Associations Between Body Mass Index, Waist Circumference and Body Shape Index with Resting Blood Pressure in Portuguese Adolescents'. Annals of Human Biology 40 (2), 163-167.
- Duncan, M.J., Smith, M., and Lyons, M. (2013) 'The effect of exercise intensity on coincidence anticipation performance at different stimulus speeds'. European Journal of Sport Science.
- Duncan, M., and Johnson, A. (2013) 'The effect of differing intensities of acute cycling on preadolescent academic achievement'. European Journal of Sport Science.