Dr. Liz Trenchard
Liz is an environmental scientist, with research interests and experience in organic and sustainable agriculture, ethical consumption, conservation and biodiversity and environmental science. She is theme leader for the ‘Fair Routes to Market’ theme at the Centre for Agroecology and Food Security at Coventry University and has worked on a range of sustainable agriculture projects including most recently a social science project funded by the EU which investigated the socio-economic impacts of short food supply chains in the European Union.
Other projects she has been involved in include: the EDULINK project to build capacity in organic agriculture research and training in West Africa, two British Council funded projects for organic entrepreneurship and organic education in Nigeria and a EU funded project on organic agriculture, market development and agrotourism in Jamaica.
- Kneafsey, M., Venn, L., Schmutz, U., Balázs, B., Trenchard, L., Eyden-Wood, T., Bos, E., Sutton, G., and Blackett, M. (2013) Short Food Supply Chains and Local Food Systems in the EU. A State of Play of their Socio-Economic Characteristics. JRC Scientific and Policy Reports Number 25911 EN, Joint Research Centre. Institute for Prospective Technological Studies, Luxembourg.
- Trenchard, E., Smith, S., Harris, P., and Pasiecznik, N. (2008) 'A review of ploidy in the genus Prosopis'. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 156 (3), 425-438.
- Sherry, M., Smith, S., Patel, A., Harris, P., Hand, P., Trenchard, L., and Henderson, J. (2011) 'RAPD and Microsatellite Transferability Studies in Selected Species of Prosopis (section Algarobia) with Emphasis on Prosopis juliflora and Prosopis pallida'. Journal of Genetics 90 (2), 251-264.
- Harris, P.J.C., Wright, J.E., and Trenchard, E.J. (2011) 'Potential for rainfed woody biomass production for energy conversion in drought and salinity affected areas of northern India'. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 70 (8), 577-582.
- Aiyelaagbe, I.O.O., Harris, P.J.C., Olowe, V.I.O., Adedokun, T.A., and Trenchard, E.J. (2011) 'Bridging the skills gap in organic agriculture in Nigeria'. Organic is Life. Volume 1. Proceedings of Conference of the 17th IFOAM OWC, '17th IFOAM OWC'. Held 26 Sep-05 Oct 2011 in Namyangui, Republic of Korea.
- Aiyelaagbe, I., Harris, P.J.C., and Trenchard, E. (2010) 'The Work, Earn, Learn, Programme (WELP) for developing entrepreneurship in organic agriculture among graduates in Nigeria (Nigeria)'. 'Association of Commonwealth Universities and the British Council, Making the best of Africa’s graduates and the role of international partnerships'. Held 16-18 Jan 2010 in Accra, Ghana.
- Pasiecznik, N., Harris, P., Trenchard, E., and Smith, S. (2006) 'Implications of uncertain Prosopis taxonomy for biocontrol'. Biocontrol News and Information 27 (1),1N-2N.
- Harris, P., Trenchard, E., Smith, S., and Pasiecznik, N. (2004) 'The distribution and resource value of tropical New World Prosopis species'. Proceedings of the 1st World Conference of Agroforestry, '1st World Conference of Agroforestry'. Held 27 Jun-02 Jul 2004 in Florida, USA.
- Pasiecznik, N.M., Choge, S.K., Trenchard, L.J., and Harris, P.J.C. (2012) 'Improving food security in famine-prone areas using invasive and underutilized prosopis trees'. Food Chain 2 (2), 197-206.
- Trenchard, L., Eyden-Wood, T., and Wright, J. (2013) 'Is There Evidence For A Negative Correlation Between Yield And Nutritional Value In High Yielding Plant Varieties, Is There An Alternative Approach?'. Book of Abstracts for the Second International Conference on Organic Food Quality And Health Research, 'Second International Conference on Organic Food Quality And Health Research'. Held 05-07 Jun 2013 in Warsaw, Poland.
- Short Food Supply Chains and Local Food Systems in the EU a state of play of their socio-economic characteristics 2011-2012: Kneafsey, M.K.,Venn, L. TRENCHARD, E., Blackett, M. Cheese, E. Sutton, G. £55,000, EU Institute for Prospective Technological Studies.
- Climate change, natural hazards and disaster management: A teaching and research partnership to build institutional capacity in environmental management 2009-2011: Harris, P., TRENCHARD, E., Chowdhury A. £40,250, BRITISH COUNCIL INSPIRE PROGRAMME, SP_0020.
- Institutional Capacity Building for Organic Agriculture in West Africa 2009-12: Harris, P., Aiyelaagbe, I., TRENCHARD E. €465,000, EU EDULINK ACP-EU Co-operation Programme, 9-ACP-RPR-118.
- Enhanced biomass production and energy conversion for use in water-scarce areas of India 2007-11: Aston University, Bristol, Warwick, Leeds and Coventry Universities, Lupus Science and the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India. Value of project £1.3 million (CU £57,000), Project coordinated by Aston University. Coventry University involvement -selection of appropriate species for biomass trials, EPSRC.
- Jamaica PRIDE: Promoting Rural Integrated Development and Enterprise 2008-2009: Harris, P., Daye, M., TRENCHARD, E., Kneafsey, M., Barrett, H. European Union Banana Support Programme, £280,000.
- ‘Characterization and calibration of organic residues and composts for sustainable organic maize production’ Rothamsted African Fellowship 2009-2010: Adejuydigbe, C., Harris , P., Aiyelaagbe, I., TRENCHARD E. £18,000 One year visiting fellowship to CU by Nigerian academic - Dr Adejuyigbe.
- The Work, Learn, Earn Programme (WELP) for developing entrepreneurship in organic agriculture among graduates in Nigeria: Harris , P., Aiyelaagbe, I., TRENCHARD E. £41,880, British Council Education Partnerships in Africa , EPA 1.14: 2009-2010.
- ‘Development of Institutional Capacity in Organic Agriculture ’ 2005-2008: Harris , P., Aiyelaagbe, I., TRENCHARD E. £79,000, EAP project a joint project with University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria.to develop organic agriculture courses in Nigerian universities. Funded by the Department of Universities, Innovation and Skills via the British Council. England Africa Programme.