Dr. James Shippen
After taking an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Leeds, James Shippen was employed in the defence industry performing stress and performance calculations on torpedos.
He then moved to work in the Design Analysis department for Rover Cars where he undertook dynamic analysis and mathematical simulation of passenger vehicles primarily using finite element methods. There arose a requirement for acoustic modelling which River didn’t have and so he wrote an acoustic capability into a commercially available finite element package for which he was awarded a PhD by the University of Birmingham and was offered a lectureship in Mechanical Engineering.
At the University of Birmingham Dr Shippen specialised in applying engineering theory to biological system where he was promoted to Director of Bioengineering and worked with many hospitals in the US and UK.
- Wagner, D.W., Stepanyan, V., Shippen, J.M., DeMers, M.S., Gibbons, R.S., Andrews, B.J., Creasey, G.H., and Beaupre, G.S. (2013) 'Consistency Among Musculoskeletal Models: Caveat Utilitor'. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 41 (8), 1787-1799.
- Shippen, J. (2013) 'The generation of loads in excess of the osteogenic threshold by physical movement'. Proceedings of the IMechE. Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine 227 (6), 704-711.
- Shippen, J. (2012) 'Biomechanical analysis of entry, egress and loading of a passenger vehicle with rear hinged rear doors'. International Journal for Traffic and Transport Engineering 2 (2), 107-117.
- Shippen, J., and May, B. (2012) ' A Kinematic Approach to Calculating Ground Reaction Forces in Dance '. Journal of Dance Medicine and Science 16 (1), 39-45.
- Shippen, J. (2012) 'Turnout is an Euler Angle'.Arts Biomechanics 1 (1), 21-27.
- Lebbon, C., Davies, S., and Shippen, J. (2011) ‘User-centred Research methods in postgraduate teaching’. Journal of Design Research 9 (2), 159-167.
- Shippen, J.M., and May, B. (2010) 'Calculation of Muscle Loading and Joint Contact Forces in Irish Dance'. Journal of Dance Medicine and Science 14 (1), 11-18.
- Shippen J, May BJ. Teaching Biomechanical analysis using the BoB Matlab/Simulink model American Society of Biomechanics Annual Conference, Omaha, 2013.
- Biomechanical of vehicle ingress/egress: Biomechanical evaluation of vehicle ingress and egress incollaboration with General Motors and Shanghai Automotive.
- Assessment of paraplegic bone demineralisation: Biomechanical assessment of paraplegic bone demineralisation using BoB software and DXA scanners.