Dr. James Bennett
Dr James Bennett holds a BSc in Biological Sciences and an MSc in Ecology from the University of Warwick. He undertook his doctoral studies at Coventry University, researching small scale cattle production systems in communal areas of Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. Since completing his PhD, he has lectured in Environmental Science at Coventry University and continued to undertake research in the Eastern Cape on the management of communally held rangelands and arable land allocations as common property systems. Specifically, this has focused on the sustainability of current grazing practices on former commercial farmland that has been transferred to communal ownership and the role of traditional authorities in the governance of communal rangelands. More recently his research has been extended to Ethiopia, exploring the changing management practices of pastoralists on the Liben Plain, the underlying drivers of this change and its impacts on rangeland quality and biodiversity. He has over 20 publications to date and is Editor in Chief of African Journal of Range and Forage Science.
- Bennett, J., and Barrett, H.R. (2007) 'Rangeland as a common property resource: contrasting insights from communal areas of central Eastern Cape Province, South Africa'. Human Ecology 35 (1), 97-112.
- Bennett, J., Ainslie, A., and Davis, J. (2013) 'Contested institutions: Traditional authorities and land access and control in communal areas of Eastern Cape Province, South Africa'. Land Use Policy 32, 27-38.
- Bennett, J., Ainslie, A., and Davis, J. (2010) 'Fenced in: Common Property struggles in the management of communal rangelands in central Eastern Cape Province, South Africa'. Land Use Policy 27 (2), 340-350.
- Sutton, G.L., Bennett, J.E., and Bateman, M.J. (2013) 'Effects of ivermectin residues on dung invertebrate communities in a UK farmland habitat'. Insect Conservation and Diversity (in press).
- Charlesworth, S.M., Nnadi, E., Oyelola, O., Bennett, J., Warwick, F., Jackson, R., and Lawson, D. (2012) 'Laboratory-based experiments to assess the use of green and food based compost to improve water quality in a Sustainable Drainage (SUDS) device such as a swale'. Science of the Total Environment 424, 337-343.
- Bennett, J.E., Palmer, A.R., and Blackett, M.A. (2012) 'Range degradation and land tenure change: Insights from a ‘released’ communal area of Eastern Cape Province, South Africa'. Land Degradation and Development 23 (6), 557-568.
- Bennett, J., Lent P.C., and Harris, P.J.C. (2007) 'Dry Season Foraging Preferences of Cattle and Sheep in a Communal Area of South Africa'. African Journal of Range and Forage Science 24 (3), 109-121.
- Bennett, J.E. (2013) 'Institutions and governance of communal rangelands in South Africa'. African Journal of Range and Forage Science 30 (1-2), 77-83.
- Bennett, J.E. (2012) 'Post-apartheid Struggles: Land Rights and Smallholder Agriculture in South Africa'. In Challenging Post-Conflict Environments: Sustainable Agriculture. Ed. by Ozerdem, A., and Roberts, R. Farnham: Ashgate.
- Saudi Marshes Project (2012): Mapping and rehabilitation of oil-contaminated coastline in Saudi Arabia.
- Institutions and Rangelands: struggles over commons governance in the communal grazing lands of South Africa (2010): Understanding institutional constraints in accessing and managing rangelands as communal grazing resource in South Africa.
- Rangeland change on the Liben Plain, South-East Ethiopia (2011): Developing an understanding of the drivers of rangeland change in Southern Ethiopia.
- Current and historical rangeland quality in relation to grazing management in communal areas of Eastern Cape Province, South Africa (2009): Assessing rangeland quality under communal and private tenure in the former homeland of Ciskei.