Dr. Hetty Blades
Hetty completed her PhD at C-DaRE in 2015, under the supervision of Sarah Whatley and Scott deLahunta. Her thesis considered the ontological implications of digital scoring practices for dance. Prior to commencing PhD study she completed and MA in Dance Studies at Roehampton University (2010) and a BA (Hons.) in Dance Theatre from Trinity Laban (2007). She was the 2015 recipient of the Ede and Ravenscroft Postgraduate Award for Academic Excellence.
Hetty has worked as a Visiting Lecturer in Dance Studies at a range of institutions including, Roehampton University, Kingston University, University of East London and Rambert School of Ballet and Contemporary Dance. She has give guest lectures at London Contemporary Dance School and University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). Teaching specialisms include dance analysis, philosophy, cultural studies, and research methods.
Hetty works on various projects within the Centre, and is Editorial Assistant for the Journal of Dance and Somatic Practices, as well as continuing to develop her own research through projects and publications.
- Blades, H. (2016) 'Scores, Bodies and Posthuman Poetics.’ Choreographic Practices, 6 (2), pp. 261 - 278.
- Blades, H. (2015) ‘Affective Traces in Virtual Spaces: Annotation and Emerging Dance Scores’ in Performances Research, 20(6), pp. 26 – 34.
- Blades, H. (2015) ‘Inscribing Work and Process’ in Causey, M., Meehan, E. & O’Dwyer, N. (eds.) The Performing Subject in the Space of Technology: Through the Virtual Toward the Real, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Blades, H. (2015) 'Digital Instances' in American Society of Aesthetics Graduate E-Journal, 7 (1).
- Blades, H. (2015) ‘Scoring Choreography: Intentions and Bodies in Digital Forms’ in Motio, 1 (1).
- Blades, H. (2015) Book Review: The Oxford Handbook of Dance and the Popular Screen edited by Melissa Blanco Borelli in International Journal of Screendance.
- Blades, H. (2014) ‘Scoring Choreographic Process: Intentions, Bodies and Digital Forms’ in Society of Dance History Scholars Conference Proceedings.
- Blades, H. (2013) ‘Scoring Dance’ in Postgraduate Journal of Aesthetics, 10 (2), pp. 43-45.
- Blades, H. (2012) ‘Edited Realities’ in Conversations Across the Field of Dance Studies. XXXII
- Blades, H (2012) ‘Creative Computing and the Re-Configuration of Dance Ontology’ in Electronic Visualisation in the Arts Conference Proceedings.
- Blades, H. (2012) Book Review: 'The Philosophical Aesthetics of Dance by Graham McFee’ in American Society of Aesthetics Graduate E-Journal 5 (1).
- Blades, H. (2011) ‘Dance on the Internet: An Ontological Investigation’ in Postgraduate Journal of Aesthetics, 8 (1), pp. 40 - 52.