Dr. Angela Hilmi
Dr. Angela Hilmi is an agronomist socio-economist with studies in Anthropology and Sociology of Politics, experienced in sustainable agriculture and rural development with twenty + years of professional experience in Africa, Asia, Latin America & Caribbean, USA and Europe. She holds an MSC in Biology and a PhD in social and economical sciences. She was awarded the 2001 Prix Export for excellence in private business development, named French Foreign Trade Advisor by French Prime Minister 2002, and has participated as Advisor for Partnerships and Alliances in UN-FAO office for Latin America and Caribbean. Angela has been founder and director of KIASMO Space S.L. a pro-peasant platform supporting the peasant way of farming in all continents in close collaboration with world leading peasant organizations. She has in recent years been leading the creation of a new inclusive investment approach bridging private capital and peasant communities. Her previous professional work includes: Secretary of the Strategic Planning Group in the Office of the Assistant Director-General of the Agriculture Department, FAO, Senior Officer in the Crisis Management Center for the Food Chain, Senior Officer of the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture, International Development Director of Ecocert, a world leader in certification of organic agriculture; Natural Resources Officer, and Prevention of Food Losses Officer, FAO Rural Development Division.
- Esquinas-Alcázar, J., Hilmi, A., and Noriega, I. (2013) A Brief History of the Negotiations on the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. In Crop Genetic Resources as a Global Commons. ed. by Halewood, M. et al. Bioversity International, CGIAR, Earthscan, 135-149.
- Hilmi, A. (2012) Agricultural Transition - a different logic. The More and Better Network.
- Hilmi, A. et al. (2011) A Viable Food Future Part I. 2nd ed. Norway: The Development Fund.
- Hilmi, A. et al. (2010) A Viable Food Future Part I & II. Norway: The Development Fund.
- Esquinas-Alcázar, J., Martin, A., Hilmi, A., and Martín, L.M. (2010) La toma de conciencia internacional sobre la importancia de los recursos fitogenéticos. in Mejora genética y recursos fitogenéticos: Nuevos avances en la conservación y utilización de los recursos fitogenéticos ed. by Carrillo, J.M. et al. Ministerio de Medio Ambiente y Medio Rural y Marino, 101-139.
- Griffon, M., and Hilmi, A. (1996) Institutional changes for sustainable agricultural and rural development- Liberalization, privatizations, role of the private and public sector, new roles of the State and decentralization in Proceedings of the Panel of High Level Experts eds. by Ostrom, E., Weber, J. et al. 21-28 October, 1996. Rome: CIRAD-FAO.
- Gordillo, G., Meliczek, H., and Hilmi, A. (1997) Rural Development International Workshop, Access to natural resources, institutions and anti-poverty programmes. Gödöllö Hungary: FAO.