Dr. Azadeh Montazami
Azadeh Montazami completed a masters degree in Architecture (distinction) at IAUT in 2004 and a second masters in Energy and Suitability in Architecture (distinction) in 2006 at London Metropolitan University. She received her PhD in ‘Classrooms’ Indoor Environment’ from the same University in 2012.
She has a strong background and interest in sustainability in Architecture and teaches Environmental Design to undergraduate architecture students at Coventry University. She also supervises research students, masters students and undergraduate students, with the theme of sustainability and low energy building.
She has collaborated with other researchers and published various papers with focuses on indoor environment, occupants’ satisfaction and users’ behaviour inside buildings. Her research has been published in academic journals and presented at highly rated conferences. Azadeh is currently acting as co-supervisor for a PhD student whose focus is the evaluation of Passivhaus as a suitable solution for social housing for the current and future climate.
Currently she serves on an Advisory Board of the Department of Education for updating Building Bulletin 101 guidelines (i.e. the guideline for ventilation and indoor air quality in schools) and also is collaborating with the Children's Spaces and Places Research Group at Sheffield University.
- Tabatabaei, S., Gaterell, M., Montazami, A., and Ahmed, A. (2015) ‘Overheating investigation in UK social housing flats built to the Passivhaus standard’. Journal of Building and Environment 92, 222-235.
- Montazami, A., Gaterell, M., and Nicol, F. (2015) ‘A comprehensive review of environmental design in UK schools: History, conflicts and solutions’. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 46, 249–264.
- Montazami, A., and Nicol, F. (2013) ‘Overheating in schools: comparing existing and new guidelines’. Journal of Building Research and Information 41 (3), 317–331.
- Montazami, A., Wilson, M., and Nicol, F. (2012) ‘Aircraft noise, overheating and poor air quality in classrooms in London Primary Schools’. Journal of Building and Environment 52, 129-141.
- Montazami, A, Gatrell, M., Thoua, C., and Lumley, M. (2016) ‘Evaluation of indoor air quality in classrooms equipped with different methods of ventilation’. Network for Comfort and Energy Use in Buildings. Held 7-10 April 2016 in Windsor, UK.
- Thoua, C., Lumley, M., Montazami, A., and Gatrell, M. (2015) ‘Seasonal variation of indoor air quality in classrooms of a 1970s conventional, pre passivhaus and passivhaus primary school buildings in the UK’. PLEA (Passive Low Energy Architecture). Held 9-11 September 2015 in Bologna, Italy.
- Thoua, C., Lumley, M., Hines, J., Montazami, A., Gatrell, M., Mavrogianni, A., and Grant.N. (2015) ‘Review of control strategy for a primary school built to Passivhaus standard’. CIBSE Technical Symposium. Held 16-17 April 2015 in London, UK.
- Montazami, A., Nicol, F., and Gattrell, M. (2015) ‘The effect of thermal mass on summer thermal comfort in UK primary school classrooms’. TAU Conference: Mitigating and Adapting Built Environments for Climate Change in The Tropics. Held 30-31 March 2015 in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Montazami, A. (2014) ‘A comparison study of internal environmental issues between students’ and teachers’ opinions within primary schools’. 5th International Conference on Researching children's everyday lives. Held 1-3 July 2014 in Sheffield, UK.
- Montazami, A. (2014) 'The use of running workshop as pedagogy approach for Architect students'. SEDA Spring Teaching, Learning and Assessment Conference 2014 'Engaging Students: Engaging Staff'. Held 15 - 16 May 2014 in Newcastle, UK.
- Montazami, A., McGough, D., Ahmed, A., and Gaterell, M. (2014) 'Understanding the challenges for low impact retrofitting - case study'. iiSBE Net Zero Built Environment 2014 Symposium. Held 6-7 March 2014 in Florida, USA.
- Montazami, A. (2014) ‘Occupants’ behaviours in controlling blinds/curtains in the UK Primary Schools’. In Nicol, F., Roaf, S., Brotas, L., and Humphreys, M. Proceedings Windsor Conference 2014 Counting the cost of comfort in a changing world, ‘8th Windsor Conference’. Held 10-13 April 2014 in Windsor, UK. London: Network for Comfort and Energy Use in Buildings.
- Montazami, A., and Ahmed, A. (2013) ‘The relationship between peoples’ satisfaction and building LEED rating in Jordanian office building’. Sustainable Building Conference 2013. Held 3-5 July 2013 in Coventry, UK.
- Ghaziani, R., Montazami, A., and Bufton, F. (2013) ‘Architectural Design Pedagogy; Improving students learning outcome’. Association Architectural Educators Conference 2013. Held 3-5 April 2013 in Nottingham, UK.
- Montazami, A., and Nicol, F. (2012) ‘Using an inappropriate thermal benchmark leads to overheating in UK primary schools’. In Proceedings of 7th Windsor Conference: The changing context of comfort in an unpredictable world, ‘7th Windsor Conference’. Held 12-15 April 2012 in Windsor, UK. London: Network for Comfort and Energy Use in Buildings.