Aris worked as a primary school teacher for 14 years in Greece and in London. He completed his Masters degree on Literacy Learning and Literacy Difficulties with distinction at the Institute of Education, University College London. Aris then went on to PhD studies initially at the UCL with prof. Jackie Masterson and then as a scholar at the University of Dundee with Dr. Lynne Duncan. He is writing now his Thesis on how bilingual adults and children recognise and process words that are similar in meaning and form (cognates) and words that are dissimilar (non-cognates). Aris’s PhD interests involve the construction of Psycholinguistic databases (HelexKids is the first online database for Greek children) and is now a Research Assistant for a project on the construction of bilingual databases. He is also a Lecturer in Childhood Development and Learning at CUC. His current interests involve EEG measures of bilingual word processing and the impact of second language proficiency on international students’ academic attainment.
- Terzopoulos, A.R., Duncan, L.G., Wilson, M.A.J., Niolaki, G.Z., and Masterson, J. (2016) ‘HelexKids: A word frequency database for Greek and Cypriot primary school children’. Behavior Research Methods. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/s13428-015-0698-5
- Niolaki, G.Z., Terzopoulos, A., and Masterson, J. (2015) ‘A sublexical training
study for spelling in a biliterate Greek- and English- speaking child’. Neuropsychological Rehabilitation. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09602011.2015.1105825
- Niolaki, G.Z., Masterson, J., and Terzopoulos, A.R. (2014) ‘Spelling improvement through letter sound and whole word training in two multilingual Greek-and English-speaking children’. Multilingual Education, 4. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s13616-014-0020-3
- Niolaki, G.Z., Terzopoulos, A.R. and Masterson, J. (2014) ‘Varieties of Developmental Dyslexia in Greek children’. Writing Systems Research 6 (2), 230-256. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17586801.2014.893862
- Terzopoulos, A.R., Niolaki, G.Z., Duncan, L.G., and Masterson, J. (2016) ‘Investigating predictors of spelling: the role of RAN and multicharacter processing in an opaque and a transparent orthography’. SSSR conference. Held 13-16 July 2016 in Porto, Portugal.
- Terzopoulos, A.R., Duncan, L.G., Niolaki, G.Z., and Masterson, J. (2015) ‘Cognate and non-cognate representations in Greek-English bilingual adults and children: a cross-script investigation using the masked priming paradigm’. 19th ESCoP conference. Held 17-20 September 2015 in Paphos, Cyprus.
- Terzopoulos, A.R., Niolaki, G.Z., Duncan, L.G., and Masterson, J. (2015) ‘Visual memory and phonological difficulties in a child with mixed characteristics of dyslexia in a transparent orthography’. Child Language Symposium. Held 20-21 July 2015 in Warwick, UK. [Poster]
- Terzopoulos, A.R., Duncan, L.G., Niolaki, G.Z., and Masterson, J. (2015) ‘Word representations in bilingual Greek-English adults and children’. 7th International Summer School on Literacy Research. Held 22-27 August 2015 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Terzopoulos, A.R., Duncan, L.G., Niolaki, G.Z., and Masterson, J. (2015) ‘Cognate and non-cognate representations with Greek-English bilingual adults and children: investigating priming asymmetry’. XII Psycholinguistic Symposium. Held 1-4 July 2015 in Valencia, Spain.
- BiLex, a word online database for bilingual children: This project is about the construction of a bilingual word database, the first of its kind for bilingual children.