Dr. Alex Toft
Alex Toft is a senior research assistant in Children and Families Research Theme in the Centre for Technology Enabled Health Research at Coventry University. He graduated from the University of Nottingham where he completed his PhD in 2010. Alex has a social policy and sociological background and has a history of research on rights, particularly with regards to equality and diversity issues. His research interests include sexuality, identity and children’s rights and wellbeing. He has led projects for agencies such as the Fundamental Rights Agency, an EU agency, on themes including LGBT equality, Serious Labour Exploitation and the rights of children with disabilities. He was worked on projects funded by the ESRC and European Commission (Fundamental Rights and Citizenship Programme). He has worked, under the leadership of Professor Jane Coad, on the recent update of the Healthy Child Programme. This was complimented by a rapid review of early interventions for 0-5 year olds for the Early Intervention Foundation. Alex has an interest in the use of mobile technology to support young people with long-term health conditions and is working with the CLDF to develop an app to aid transition.
He is the author of numerous publications with chapters including Contemporary Christianity and LGBT Sexualities (Ashgate, 2009, edited by Stephen Hunt), Researching Non-Heterosexual Sexualities (Ashgate 2012 edited by Constantinos Phellas) and recently in the journal Sexualities.
- Toft, A. (2014) ‘Re-Imagining Christianity: The Negotiation of Christianity in the Lives of Bisexual Women and Men’. Sexualities 17, 509-511.
- Toft, A. (2012) ‘Researching Bisexuality and Christianity: Locating a hidden population and the use of reflexivity’. in Research Non-heterosexual Sexualities. ed. Phellas, C. N. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Toft, A. (2012) ‘Bisexuality and Christianity: Negotiating Disparate Identities’. in The Ashgate Research Companion to Sexuality and Religion. ed. Hunt, S. and Yip, A. K. T. Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Toft, A. (2009) ‘Bisexual Christians: The Lived Experiences of a Marginalised Community’. in Contemporary Christianity and LGBT Sexualities. ed. by Hunt, S. Hampshire: Ashgate
- Toft, A. (2009) ‘Negotiating Identity: The Life-Narratives of Bisexual Christians'. in Narrative, Memory and Identities. Ed. Robinson, D. et al. Huddersfield: University of Huddersfield
- MyLiver App project.
- Healthy Child Programme Update.
- What Works to Enhance the Development of Language, Communication and Social and Emotional Skills for 0-5 Year-Olds through Parent and Child Interaction? A Review of the Evidence.