Reliable power conversion through condition monitoring of power semiconductors and electronics
Eligibility: UK/EU/International students with the required entry requirements
Award Details: No award (self-funded)
Duration: Full Time - between 3 years and 3 years 6 months fixed term
Application deadline: Ongoing
Interview dates: TBC
Start date: TBC
Informal enquiries are essential before application; contact Dr. Neo Lophitis to discuss this opportunity.
Coventry University has been voted ‘Modern University of the Year’ three times running by The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide. Ranked in the UK’s top 15 (Guardian University Guide), we have a global reputation for high quality teaching and research with impact. Almost two-thirds (61%) of our research was judged ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. By joining the University’s Faculty of Engineering, Environment and Computing (EEC), you will benefit from state-of-the-art facilities and partnerships with some of the biggest names in industry, including Jaguar Land Rover, GE Aviation, Cummins and Intel.
Power Electronics Converters are exceptionally important in systems that operate in changeable, isolated, challenging environments or where the degradation of operation can potentially be life threatening. Practical examples of scenarios which would benefit from the integration of Condition Monitoring include; offshore wind turbines, aerospace power supplies, traction drives and electric vehicles.
This research will focus on the determination of the physics of ageing and degradation for power semiconductor devices and converters. Through the understanding of the physics of degradation and the physics of failure, novel methods to discriminate the type, monitor the degradation and predict the remaining lifetime will be investigated.
- For the academic year 2018/19, any English student who is not part of a research council can borrow up to £25,000 to help cover the cost of their PhD tuition fees. Further details can be found here.
- Our research strategy is underpinned by a £250m investment in research and facilities
- Dedicated Doctoral College and Centre for Research Capability Development deliver high quality professional support for researchers, from PhD to Professor
- Free training: research career planning, managing your doctorate, research communication skills, research ethics, research impact, research integrity, research methods and research supervision
- Coventry is a member of the Doctoral Training Alliance (DTA), the largest multi-partner and only nationwide doctoral training initiative of its kind.
- Coventry is a recognised Competence Centre by the European Centre for Power Electronics (ECPE), the largest industrial network for Power Electronics in Europe.
- Coventry is member of the EPSRC Centre for Power Electronics which focuses on underpinning power electronics research, combining the UK’s best academic talent.
Successful applicants will have:
- A minimum of a 2:1 first degree in a relevant discipline/subject area with a minimum 60% mark in the Project element or equivalent with a minimum 60% overall module average, or
- A Masters Degree in a relevant subject area will be considered as an equivalent. The Masters must have been attained with overall marks at merit level (60%). In addition, the dissertation or equivalent element in the Masters must also have been attained with a mark at merit level (60%).
- The potential to engage in innovative research and to complete the PhD within a prescribed period of study
- Language proficiency (IELTS overall minimum score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component).
- knowledge and/or experience in the subject
- a good knowledge of electric power engineering with emphasis on power semiconductors and devices
- experimental, modelling or analytical experience
- experience of (or a willingness to quickly learn) about power electronics and power semiconductors.
Eligibility & Application Procedure
All UK/EU/International students are eligible to apply that meet the academic requirements, the eligibility criteria can be found making an application page.