Dr. Luis Sañudo-Fontaneda
MY RESEARCH VISION
I am a Researcher in Civil Engineering as a service to society. With my research I wish to contribute activity to the sustainable development of society and the environment. I am inspired by the need to find solutions to the major challenges that our societies are facing across the world, especially those related to water management and the use of renewable energy. For that reason, my research interests have been mainly focused on the development of techniques for a more efficient use of water and energy in order to mitigate the impacts generated by climate change such as floods and severe drought.
Research Fellow and Agroecological and Water Systems Engineer
Building: James Starley
Luis is a MEng Civil Engineer (Spanish Ingeniero de Caminos, Canales y Puertos) who undertook his degree at the University of Cantabria in the Faculty of Civil Engineering in Santander (Spain), whilst he was advancing his research career in the Construction Technology Applied Research Group (GITECO) of the University of Cantabria in 2007. Luis achieved the prestigious FPI Fellowship granted by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation, undertaking his MSc and International PhD degree as part of the programme. Luis moved to Coventry University in 2014 and joined the Centre for Agroecology, Water and Resilience (CAWR) where he is currently developing his activity as a Researcher in Civil Engineering and Water Management. He has collaborated in numerous research projects with research groups, universities and companies across the world. As a result of his research activity, he has contributed to scientific publications with impact, presentations in international conferences and congresses, and patents.
- Sañudo-Fontaneda, L.A., Rodriguez-Hernandez, J., Calzada-Pérez, M.A., Castro-Fresno, D. (2014) 'Infiltration behaviour of polymer-modified porous concrete and porous asphalt surfaces used in SuDS techniques'. Clean – Soil, Air, Water 42 (2), 139-145.
- Sañudo-Fontaneda, L.A., Charlesworth, S., Castro-Fresno, D., Andrés-Valeri, V.C.A., and Rodriguez-Hernandez, J. (2014) 'Water quality and quantity assessment of pervious pavements performance in experimental car park areas'. Water Science and Technology 69 (9), 1526-1533.
- Andrés-Valeri, V.C.A., Castro-Fresno, D., Sañudo-Fontaneda, L.A., and Rodriguez-Hernandez, J. (2014) 'Comparative analysis of the outflow water quality of two sustainable linear drainage system'. Water Science and Technology 70 (8), 1341-1347.
- Sañudo-Fontaneda, L.A., Andrés-Valeri, V.C.A., Rodriguez-Hernandez, J., and Castro-Fresno, D. (2014) 'Field study of the reduction of the infiltration capacity of porous mixtures surfaces tests'. Water 6 (3), 661-669.
- Nnadi, E.O., Coupe, S.J., Sañudo-Fontaneda, L.A., and Rodriguez-Hernandez, J. (2014) 'An Evaluation of an Enhanced Geotextile Layer in Permeable Pavement Design to Improve Water Quantity and Quality'. International Journal of Pavement Engineering 15 (10), 925-932.
- Del-Castillo-García, G., Borinaga-Treviño, R., Sañudo-Fontaneda, L. A., and Pascual-Muñoz, P. (2013) 'Influence of pervious pavement systems on heat dissipation from a horizontal geothermal system'. European Journal of Environment and Civil Engineering 17 (10), 956-967.
- Castro-Fresno, D., Andrés-Valeri, V. C., Sañudo-Fontaneda, L. A., and Rodriguez-Hernandez, J. (2013) 'Sustainable drainage practices in Spain, specially focused on pervious pavements'. Water 5 (1), 67-93.
- Sañudo-Fontaneda, L. A., Rodriguez-Hernandez, J., Vega-Zamanillo, A., and Castro-Fresno, D. (2013) 'Laboratory analysis of the infiltration capacity of interlocking concrete block pavements in car parks'. Water Science and Technology 67 (3), 675-681.
- Sañudo-Fontaneda, L. A., Castro-Fresno, D., Del Coz-Díaz, J. J., and Rodriguez-Hernandez, J. (2012). 'Classification and comparison of snow fences for the protection of transport infrastructures'. Journal of Cold Regions Engineering, 25 (4), 162-181.
- Castro Fresno, D., López Quijada, L., Sañudo Fontaneda, L., and Mery García, J. P. (2009). 'Development and investigation of the tests for the certification of dynamic barriers for rockfall protection'. Revista de la Construcción, 8 (2), 94-107.
- Castro Fresno, D., del Coz Díaz, J.J., Sañudo-Fontaneda, L.A., and Rodríguez-Hernández, J. 2010. Barrier for deposition of particles. WO 2010/133713 A3.
- Castro Fresno, D., del Coz Díaz, J.J., Álvarez Rabanal, F.P., Sañudo-Fontaneda, L.A., Rodríguez Hernández, J., and García Nieto, P.J. 2010. Protective barrier for snowstorms. WO 2010/052350 A1.
- Development of catchment and store rainwater systems, using porous pavements in parking lots, for non-potable use with geothermal low enthalpy energy (VEA)
- Hydrological Rehabilitation of Urban Road Structures (RHIVU)
- Research and Development of a snow barrier
- Design and monitoring of a sustainable linear drainage system
- Design and monitoring of a filtering parking lot built over a base of fly ash from power thermal station either alone or combined with blast furnace slag
- Study and improvement of the design and management methodologies for drainage and sanitation systems in Cantabria (Spain)
- Operation of safe, intelligent and sustainable highways (OASIS)
- Design, research & instrumentation of parking lot built with pervious pavements degrading