Dr. Julian Hellaby
My research vision
My research is primarily inspired by my activities as a classical pianist and key questions that this involves. For example: what constitutes a musical'work'?; How do pianists arrive at their interpretations of western (or other) masterworks?; Where does 'interpretation' give way to embellishment and/orarrangement and/or improvisation? And in different area: how does classical pianism and its promotion differ now from the way it operated as little asfifty years ago?
Research Fellow in Music
Building: Ellen Terry
ulian Hellaby BMus, MMus, PhD, LRAM, ARAM studied piano at the Royal Academy of Music and has performed as solo pianist, concertosoloist, accompanist and chamber musician in continental Europe, the Middle East, South Africa and throughout the UK, including recitals in theWigmore Hall and Purcell Room. More recent two-piano work with pianist Peter Noke has featured performances across the UK and in Hong Kong. Julian is an ABRSM examiner, trainer, moderator and public presenter, as well as a mentor for the ABRSM’s Certificate of Teaching course. He hasextensive experience of piano teaching at all levels, and is currently Associate Research Fellow at Coventry University. He has released several CDsfor the ASC and MSV labels, and his book Reading Musical Interpretation was published by Ashgate in 2009.
- Hellaby, J., Noke, P., Merrick, L., Lang, C., and Wright, N. (2012) A John Ireland Collection[CD] UK: ASC Records
- Hellaby, J. (2010) 'Modifying the Score'. Music Performance Research
- Hellaby, J. (2009) Reading Musical Interpretation. UK: Ashgate
- Hellaby, J., with Bembridge, P., Braithwaite, P., Cornall, M., Lang, T., and Marek, T. (2009)Restyling Style. [Rock-classical crossover concert] Performed at CBSO Centre, Birmingham
- Hellaby, J. (2009) The Russian Piano. [CD] UK: Campion Cameo
- Hellaby, J. and others (2007) Malcolm Arnold: Bright Jewels. [CD] UK: MSV
- Hellaby, J., with Noke, P. (2007) British Doubles: 20th and 21st century music for two pianos.[CD] UK: MSV
- Hellaby, J. (2003) CHAMELEON - Recital of solo piano music. [Performance] Performed at Orada Hall Ireland: University College, Cork,
- Hellaby, J. (2003) CHAMELEON - Recital of solo piano music. [Performance] Performed at Vestry Hall, London: London College of Music and Media
- Hellaby, J. (2003) Solo Piano Recital. [Performance] Performed at David Josefowitz Recital Hall, London: Royal Academy of Music, 21 Jan 2003
- Hellaby, J. (2002) Chameleon: contemporary British piano music. [CD] UK: ASC Records
- Reading Musical Interpretation. UK: Ashgate (2009): A book investigating piano performance and interpretation.