Dr. Emma Eyre
MY RESEARCH VISION
My research is inspired to understand the ways in which physical activity and exercise affect health in children. In my research I aim to provide understanding of low levels of physical activity in deprived, ethnic and obese populations. Specifically, it is my vision to use this knowledge to find innovative ways to address low adherence to physical activity in order to improve health.
Emma is an early career researcher within the Centre for Sport Exercise and Life Sciences working within the theme of Physical Activity and Exercise interventions. Emma has 10 years’ experience researching within the field of Physical Activity, Exercise and Health, working with populations from young children to older adults across a range a disciplines. Her areas of expertise and research focus on the assessment of physical activity, examining barriers and facilitators to physical activity using mixed method approaches, and designing and implementing motor development and physical activity interventions.
Emma has authored in excess of 35 papers and co-authored several books chapters in these fields. Some of this work has focused on special population such as obese, ethnic, young and deprived groups. Throughout her work, she has been the principal investigator and co-investigator on a range of funded projects from the British Heart Foundation, British Academy, Sport England, Badminton World Federation, Tanita and Erasmus plus.
It is her vision to understand low levels of motor development and physical activity in special population and to use this knowledge to find innovative was to address this. Her current projects involve using movement and story based interventions to improve motor development, physical and health outcomes, assessing the dose-response effect of badminton shuttle time programme in primary schools.
- Eyre, ELJ. Duncan, M. Tallis, J. Wilson, S. Akhurst, L. Wilde, L. Wanderley, SRJ. (2019) RT6 accelerometer calibration and validation in comparison to GENEActiv, ActiGraph, and gas analysis in young adults. Journal for the Measurement of Physical Behaviour.
- Adeyemi-Walker, L.J. Duncan, M.J. Tallis, J. Eyre, E.L.J. (2018) Fundamental Motor skills of children in deprived areas of England: a focus on Age, Gender and ethnicity. Children, 5(8).
- Duncan, MJ. Hames, T. Eyre, ELJ (2018) Sequencing effects of object control and locomotor skill during Integrated neuromuscular Training n 6-7 year old children. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 14.
- Eyre, ELJ. Walker, LJ. Duncan, MJ. (2017) Fundamental Movement Skills of Children Living in England: The Role of Ethnicity and Native English Language. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 125(1), 5-20.
- Eyre, ELJ. Duncan, MJ. Nevill, A. (2017) South Asian children have increased body fat in comparison to white children at the same body mass index. Children. 4(11), E102.
- Duncan MJ, Eyre ELJ, Bryant E, Clarke N, Birch S, Staples V, Sheffield D. (2015) The impact of a school-based gardening intervention on intentions and behaviour related to fruit and vegetable consumption. Journal of Health Psychology, 20(6): 765-73
- Eyre, ELJ. Duncan, MJ. Birch SL. Cox, V. (2015) An integrated curriculum approach to increasing habitual physical activity in primary school children, UK: A focus on South Asian children from deprived backgrounds. European Journal of Sport Science, DOI:10.1080/17461391.2015.1062565
- Eyre ELJ, Duncan MJ. Birch SL. Cox, V. (2015) Environmental and school influences on physical activity in South Asian children from low socio-economic backgrounds: A qualitative study. Journal of Child Health Care 1-14
- Eyre ELJ, Duncan MJ, Birch SL, Cox VM. (2014) Low socio-economic environmental determinants of children’s physical activity in Coventry, UK: a qualitative study in parents. Preventive Medicine Reports, 1, 32-42
- Duncan MJ, Smith M, Bryant E, Eyre ELJ, Cook K, Hankey J, Tallis J, Clarke N, Jones MV. (2014) Effect of increasing and decreasing physiological arousal on anticipation timing performance during competition and practice. European Journal of Sport Science, 16(1), 27-35
- Eyre, ELJ, Duncan MJ. Birch, SL. Fisher, JP. (2014) The influence of age and weight status on cardiac autonomic control in healthy children: a systematic review. Autonomic Neuroscience. 186, 8-21
- Duncan MJ, Birch SL, Eyre ELJ, Bryant E, Rutten C, Boen F, Seghers J. (2014) Comparison in ambulatory physical activity in children from the United Kingdom and Belgium. Annals of Human Biology. 42(3), 290-2
- Eyre ELJ, Duncan, MJ. Birch, SL. Blackett, M. Cox, V. (2014) Physical activity patterns of ethnic children from low socio-economic environments within the UK. Journal of Sport Science. 33(3): 1-11
- Eyre ELJ, Duncan MJ, Smith EC, Matyka KA. (2013) Objectively measure patterns of physical activity in primary school children in Coventry: the influence of ethnicity. Diabetic Medicine. 30(8):939-45
- Eyre ELJ, Fisher, JP. Smith EC, Wagenmakers AJ, Matyka KA. (2013) Ethnicity and Long-term heart rate variability in children. Arch Dis Child. 0. 1-7
- Eyre ELJ & Duncan MJ. (2013) The impact of ethnicity on objectively measured physical activity in children. Review article. ISRN obesity Article ID 75743