MY RESEARCH VISION
The core of my research is to understand and explore the barriers and facilitators for translation of healthcare innovations into clinical practice. I am inspired and motivated to work with the broader multidisciplinary team during the development and early delivery phase of new health technologies and organisational systems to ensure products and services are seamlessly transferred from innovative idea to bedside, by exploring the key drivers to translation. In addition I am keen to champion the development and growth of the research focused clinical academic workforce.
Becky joined Coventry University in April 2015, following a year as a Research Fellow at Warwick University. She is a registered nurse and her previous professional career spanning over 25 years, has seen her holding senior nursing roles in acute and primary care, within cancer services, critical care and general surgery in the NHS. Her previous work as Nurse Director for the Arden Cancer Network, led her to work with Professor Turner on the HOPE programme at Coventry University as an Honorary Research Fellow. She has been a Clinical Research Nurse in Anaesthetic research and also a Trust Research Governance manager.
She has been a core member of the UK Early Cancer Detection Consortium and is a member of the Executive Committee, focussed on developing a blood based screening test for the early detection of cancer. Her research has included a national expert Delphi panel to understand the implications and considerations for the development of such a programme.
She holds specialist qualifications in critical care and palliative care, and an MA in Applied Health Studies (Management) from De Montfort University. She has supported the development of the HEE/NIHR MRes programme and the newly developed Clinical Academic Researcher Development (CARD) programme at Coventry University.
- Whiteman, B., Grant-Pearce, C., Cooper, L. and Turner, A. (2015) Surviving cancer: pilot of a web-based self-management support programme, eHOPE. The Lancet, Volume 386, Supplement 2, 13 November 2015, Pages S7.
- Whiteman, B., Sobota, A., Ozakinci, G., Cormie, V., Maltseva, N. and Szczepura, A. (1st -4th November 2015) The Early Cancer Detection Consortium: Building the evidence base for patient acceptability in screening and early detection of cancer. 11th National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) Cancer Conference, Liverpool, UK. Poster presentation.
- Whiteman, B., Messenger, M. and Cree, I. (1st -4th November 2015) The Early Cancer Detection Consortium, building the evidence base by mapping of the UK Cancer Biobanks. 11th National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) Cancer Conference, Liverpool, UK. Poster presentation.
- Systematic Reviews to Underpin the Development of a Blood Test for Cancer.
- CARD: Designing a new development programme for non-medical clinical academics.